First Knife / Post Alert

japollner

Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Below is my first foray into the world of "knifemaking" though it was more of a "handle making". I purchased the blank off of a knife maker at a gun show this past winter. It was a second because of a slight bend in the blade while heat treating. It was barely noticable, and made from O1 steel, and was only $15... I figured it beat the eBay blanks for a first shot.

Hollow grind on only one side with a small secondary bevel on both sides (Hollow Chisel?). Spalted maple handle, Aluminum pins, and 3 coats Tung oil to finish. Any input is appreciated. I left some small marks in the wood from rough sanding that I need to spend more time removing in the future. I got excited to finish it though.

Feels good in my large hands and will make for a fun little EDC once I make a sheath for it.
1075572_913109544437_282193884_o.jpg

1084969_913109539447_955814466_o.jpg

1074506_913109534457_745639047_o.jpg

Finishing out an eBay skinner blank with red palm, and then will move onto my first shot at stock removal with a piece of O1 stock I picked up the other day. Also going to work on re-handling a few kitchen knives I have kicking around that were run through the dishwasher way too many times before I got to them.

Welcome to KDs and Congrats on your first handle job. I trust you are right handed?
A chisel grind or Hollow chisel grind, works best with the flat on the inside of the body.

That is the way Japanese chisel ground culinary knives are ground, They have Righties & Lefties.
That one would work best for a Leftie.

I like the handle scales and the shape you have made them. If you wish to purchase more knife blanks/Kits?

Click on the link at the top of the page here for Bossdogs, Midwest Knife makers. These are of a good & consistent quality.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back