First knife needs critique before starting next project

Joetrain

I just finished this one and was wondering if I could get some feedback from the pros. Its kinda ugly, but I feel comfortable calling it my first real knife. 1084 steel with brass pommel and gaurd, stacked leather handle, and I still need to put an edge on it. Maybe I should have done that before attaching the handle?
IMG_1110.jpgIMG_1117.jpg

You could have done worse.
Just in general....(1) finish everything you're going to do to the blade first, except sharpening. Tape it up or protect the finish somehow. (2) Fit your hardware and handle. In most cases, you can finish them out together. The level of finish is up to you.

I really like doing stacked leather handles and picked up some tips along the way. Try soaking your washers in polyurethane, I do mine under vacuum for a couple days. They come out fully sealed and still somewhat pliable. This aids in sanding to shape and they polish up better. Make sure you epoxy each washer and compress them when assembling the handle. I usually give them at least 24 hours before attaching the pommel. Don't know about being a pro but this works for me. Good luck.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Welcome to the pack,
Rudy

Last edited:
What Rudy said..........

As you progress in this learning process, keep a couple of things in mind..... First and foremost, think about what this knife is supposed to do. Steel selection, cross-section thickness, primary bevels, and spot-on heat treat are just a (very) few of the things that go into making a custom.

Once you have nailed those, you need to think.... "Fit and Finish". You might make the best cutting knife ever, but if your final fit and finish are lacking, you probably won't have much luck in selling it.

Think about buying a new car....... You might go to the dealership and shop for the best car made, but if its all scratched up and nasty, you probably ain't gonna buy it.

If you are serious about becoming a knife maker, you will nail the basics first and then get to a point where you dream of "Fit and Finish".

Just ramblings from an old man............... Robert

When starting out, look closely at knives you like and try and see what makes them so nice. Rudy's knife pictured is a fine example of a nicely finished stacked washer knife. What makes this knife nice, slightly rounded edges, good choice of materials, they compliment each other. The knife has a nice even flow from tip to butt. The stacked washers look beautiful. The blade finish is top notch.
Robert made good points in his post.
Go to the hand made and custom forum on Blade Forums and look closely at some of the fine hardware there; I've been making knives for 15 years and thats what I do.
Hope you don't mind me using your knife in example Rudy. Thanks Fred

I just finished this one and was wondering if I could get some feedback from the pros. Its kinda ugly, but I feel comfortable calling it my first real knife. 1084 steel with brass pommel and gaurd, stacked leather handle, and I still need to put an edge on it. Maybe I should have done that before attaching the handle?
View attachment 40550View attachment 40551

Joe,
You did fine for a first knife and better than I did some 15 plus years ago.
I'm sure you already know what you want to improve.

Now start again using Rudy's list of steps and do everything you can to make the next one better than the first one!

Give yourself a small pat on the back for your accomplishment but, not so much that you sprang your arm.:biggrin:

Carry on.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hope you don't mind me using your knife in example Rudy. Thanks Fred

Not at all Fred. Thank you.
I'd rather hear sweet talk like that from another maker first, customer second.

I think we all do what Fred said, it helps put your design elements in perspective. I might remind Joe that it doesn't come overnite, it's a steady progression. So be patient and learn and master one element at a time. I just wish I could take better pictures of the shiny stuff.

Rudy

Last edited:
Joetrain,
You are smart to ask for opinions early on like this. Of coarse the heat treatment is the most important thing and good looks are next. This knife may out-cut some of the most gorgeous knives out there which would make it a great knife.

I think you already know what to do on the next.

There is a thread here I started with a ton of "first knives". This one fits right in there with them. Keep it up, they will get better and better. :)

Back