First Knife Handle Repair

Cabinetmaker

Barely into knife making, and I get a call from a local guy asking if I could repair the handle on his grandfathers USN K-bar from WW2. I said "sure I can".
He brings it to me and wants a new leather stacked handle, says he will make his own sheath.
So, I have never done this type work before, and I don't know how a pro knife maker would have approached this, but this is how I did it.
I made an 1.25" punch out of an old woodworking hole saw. Ground the teeth off, mounted it in the lathe and made a bevel with a dremel. It worked better than expected, I punched 50 leather discs.

1.25 punch .JPG50 leather disks.JPG

I made 3 stacks of the discs by epoxying them into a block of wood. After the epoxy cured, I cut the blocks down to 1.25" squares and mounted each piece into the 4 jaw chuck on the wood lathe. This way I could "form" the 1/8" coves so characteristic of K-bar handles. I had never turned leather before, but this worked well too.

Blocks.JPGClamps.JPG

Next I needed to make the hole to fit over the tang, I drilled a hole in the center of each stack and cut a snug fitting slot in each on the scroll saw.

Saw.JPG

I center punched and drilled out the old pin holding the butt cap on. Then fit the new pieces onto the tang, made a new pin and compressed the leather stacks about an 1/8" in a vise, and epoxied it all together.

Compressed with pin.JPGBurnished.JPG

Filed, sanded and burnished the leather with wood dowels. Trimmed and peened the pin.

Finished.JPG

2 good liberal coats of leather dye, again with more burnishing. Followed by 2 application's of Sno-Seal. I am pleased with the results.
The customer has not seen it yet, but our agreement was $200 for the work.

I would be interested in any comments that the pros would like to offer!
Thanks for looking, Larry

Looks good!

I have a 1.25" round punch and a small bag punch. As I'm making sheaths I punch out all my smaller scrap pieces and throw them into a baggie for future use.

rps20150423_111126.jpg

Customer and his son picked up his K-Bar tonight. He was extremely happy. It's nice to work for people that appreciate it!

Epoxy works fine but I have had better luck with a high strength wood glue with stacked leather. Gorilla works great but hey that looks nice. I would certainly be pleased with that if you put it in my hands....SEMPER FI!!

Nice Job! My hat's off to you. I despise doing "repair" work. I think for me its because everybody wants the world, but doesn't want to pay a fair price for it. :)

The last straw for me was when a guy came by my shop with a rusty old "rambo" looking blade, and wanted me to put a guard, handle, AND make a leather sheath.....and said he was prepaired to pay "Up to $50." :52:
After that my shop rate for any repair work, on any knife that I didn't produce, went to $65 per hour plus materials.:biggrin:

Thanks for the compliments, guys! This was a good, quick project that I was able to learn a lot from. And it's always good to build a happy customer base.

I realize that this thread is a few months old but I just joined the site. Do you use a release agent on the wood blocks that you stack the washers in during glue up?

It's a pretty old thread, so I'm not sure the OP will get back to it.

Reading that he used epoxy and spoke of using a wood lathe, I'm thinking he possibly just turned the blocks down (turned them "off") as he turned the leather. I'd like to hear the answer as well because I'm about to rehandle a WWII Kabar myself.

Last edited:
Back