First Hamons WIP

Daniel Macina

Have two kitchen knives. I’m trying to get done by Friday one for my mom and one for my sister who is graduating. Got some W-2. He treated today with a hamon and figured I would do a little WIP. The bigger one has a decent warp. I am attempting to get out in the temper and a small crack, where I didn’t round enough between shoulder and tang. Also, the hamon got a little too much on the edge, but may look different once ground. These will get finished out if they hold together since they are going to family if nothing else to gain some experience.

Clay applied. Clay was almost dried up and hard to work with, so it certainly went on a little thicker than intended.DE959374-ED83-4231-AC45-397E7B80D019.jpeg Out of heat treat.5105357C-294A-4149-AA95-4C6FA7D89617.jpeg
Disaster. Like I said, I didn’t round my transitions enough, I believe. It looks worse than it is honestly not very deep it may even grind out.
DC04F4FC-1447-42A7-8720-F132B1AC53BE.jpeg
Shimming in the temper. E556457D-F3D1-404D-9EA2-C1DD2D281BE6.jpeg

Thanks for doing a WIP on your first attempt, that takes guts. I love Hamons, I do not do them all that much anymore because of the warping I normally get but I love the way they look. I stumbled across this video one day and I adopted this guy's method for applying wire and clay to the blade. Give it a look if you want, it makes a great looking pattern easily.

Back