First Forged knife

Gliden07

This is my first forged blade. Got a little wonky near the plunge but my grinds are getting better. I'm finally getting to the point that I can figure out how to fix the grind by twisting the blade a certain way on the platen etc... Forging class was a blast and I made a new friend!! Can't wait to get my bigger forge going and my anvil fixed up and ready to go!!IMG_20180410_6720.jpgIMG_20180410_5548.jpg

You are a step ahead of me 07. Forging is something I realy want to get to when time allows for branching out from present commitments.

The eternal aim of the knifemaker is to make the next one better. Shows you have an eye for detail and being able to critique your own work is a valuable asset.

Thanks VG, I like to think am my own worst critic. Only way to be when it comes to Craftsmanship IMO! If your not you start to think your Knives are the BEST and in reality there is always a BETTER somewhere!

It is a very beautiful piece of wood. I have never seen mahogany with that much pattern.

My friend works at a company they had a big box truck that had a Mahogany floor that was all rotted out. They put an entire new floor in a truck that wasn't worth the money they spent for the wood (according to my friend). They thru all the end cuts and left overs in the trash!! My buddy asked if he could have it they told him help yourself!! Can you say CHACHING!! It is very beautiful! I sand it down to 1K then buff with Green compound, wipe it down good with alcohol and start laying coats of Tru-Oil.

Back