First folder

JDW

I posted this in the knife pictures section, and thought I would post here as well, some pics of my slim line trapper.
This is the first folder I have made, other than a few folder kits. I used a kit as a pattern for the spring, liners, bolsters, and blade.

The tools used were a Bader, drill press, files and sandpaper. Bolsters are soldered to the liners. The blade and spring are 440C, with brass liners, bolsters, and pins. The screws are stainless. Jigged blue bone scales. I got the pivot pin a little to tight, she is hard to open, and in the half and open position, the spring is a few thousanths of an inch above the liners. It was a good learning experiance, and the next one, I hope will have fewer mistakes. This one will be my EDC knife.
All comments, good or bad are welcome.
101_3165.jpg
101_3166.jpg
101_3167.jpg

Thanks for looking, Dale

Looks very nice for a first attempt. If the spring is high in the open position just open the knife and grind down the whole back of the knive,I would rather have it flush in the open position than any other position if I couldn't have it flush in all positions. Keep up the good work and keep showing them to us here.

Like they all are saying, nice work for the first. Sure looks like you certainly know what is necesaary. Frank

Thanks guys for all the nice comments, that means alot coming from some very talented makers. I have along way to go with folders, they are a challenge, but fun to do.
Dale

At half open it looks more like it is a few 100 thousands than few thousandths! So close to perfect, BUT if your 1st was perfect where would the fun come from? This obsession we call knifemaking is supposed to make perfection a bit more ellusive, I think you've got it just about cornered!

As for it being hard to open, are you sure the backspring is adjusted correctly, I'm not speaking from experience, I read a lot, and I remember a tutorial (can't recall which one it was), where the maker took some material away from the bottom of the backspring, his set up allowed him to test the back spring in all 3 positions....now I'm going to have to go find it or it's gonna drive me crazy!!!
GREAT JOB!!! I would consider that pretty dang awesome if it was my 100th, slip joint/ folder makers in general amaze me, the parts are so little, my hands are so big, pretty much a handicap for making folders!!! Keep up the great work, Rex

Back