First blades off the new grinder.

The first one looks like it would be hard to fully sharpen due to how the blade edge meets the ricaso. On narrow tang knives I like the tang to be centered and a more rounded choil area. On the bottom one I would add a couple of pin holes. I always chamfer my holes before HT to reduce stress.

Remember the more you do the better you will get!

Keep up the good times.

Thank you for the info George. When you say "a more rounded choil area" I am not quite sure what you mean. I know what the Choil is thanks to Wiktionary.
Thanks again
Steve

Grinding blades is both challenging and fun. Good first batch of blades. Its the little things on blades that make the biggest differences.
Narrow the ricassos, top to bottom; they are to large for the blade shape. If you measure the ricasso area of a blade from the handle end, how big is the handle going to be when it butts the ricasso, make your choice there. There are many advantages to having the edge of the blade run free, when it goes under the ricasso. Easier to sharpen and gives the knife a refined and less bulky appearance.

Enjoy your time grinding, Fred

Last edited:
Thank you Fred. The top blade was the first. I wasn't sure how to use the grinder. It was to be a drop point and I ended up grinding out a bit to much, Learning Curve. That's why the ricasso is hanging like the back end of a bull. I am not sure if I can save that blade or not. Maybe I should weld it to my grinder as a reminder, LOL!

Thank you Fred. The top blade was the first. I wasn't sure how to use the grinder. It was to be a drop point and I ended up grinding out a bit to much, Learning Curve. That's why the ricasso is hanging like the back end of a bull. I am not sure if I can save that blade or not. Maybe I should weld it to my grinder as a reminder, LOL!
Keep some of the early ones to remind you of where you've been. They will make you smile in the future.

Fred

Pretty nice for the first one. The bottom one is my favorite but consider taking off about 1/4" off the top from tip to pommel. It simply looks too tall to me with the big top edge. "Put it on a diet"
Also since you asked, I think the index finger groove is too dainty. You would have to have a boney finger to fit it that. :)

Last edited:
Thank you Bruce. I promise to make the finger groove more manly. I do see the width of the blade is also quite large, looks like a spear point.
Thanks again
Steve

Basically make the drop the same as the length of the choil on the narrow tang blanks and use a slightly larger circumference. As you said a more manly looking one. This last one is looking much better. I have a bucket full of knife like objects that didn't make it. Can't bring myself to throw them away and I still add to the bucket every now & then. And...

... Remember the more you do the better you will get!

Back