Finishing G-10 Handles

Merle

I'm just finishing up a knife on which I used Ultrex G-10, in laminated black / gray color. Once I've got it all shaped and final sanded, I'm wondering if I should apply a final clear finish to really make the laminations "pop". If so what would be the right stuff to use? Or do folks not typically apply any finish to G-10 scales?

Just wondering what you guys do.

thanks,

Andy

I just got some of this in from Tracy..... normally for regular G10, I finish it to 220 grit, tape off the rest of the knife, then bead blast the G10.....final finish is a SINGLE coat of Tru-Oil. It keeps G10, micarta, or other laminated synthetics looking new...keeping it from getting that "dingy" look from soaking up hand oils during use.

Now....the Ultrex is a whole new animal..... I'm experimenting right now. I THINK the same single coat of Tru-Oil will work....however, gotta test it.
It all depends on the type/grade of rubber used in making the Ultrex. If it does not soak up Tru-Oil, I'm good, but if it does, then there goes the "grippy" quality that I purchased it for. My hope is that I can dampen a finished piece with Tru-Oil, wipe it right off, and have the rubber shed it, but just enough gets into the G10 layers to seal it......we'll see.

I always cleaned good and then put WD-40 on it then wipe it down and take as much off as you can.

I just got some of this in from Tracy..... normally for regular G10, I finish it to 220 grit, tape off the rest of the knife, then bead blast the G10.....final finish is a SINGLE coat of Tru-Oil. It keeps G10, micarta, or other laminated synthetics looking new...keeping it from getting that "dingy" look from soaking up hand oils during use.

Now....the Ultrex is a whole new animal..... I'm experimenting right now. I THINK the same single coat of Tru-Oil will work....however, gotta test it.
It all depends on the type/grade of rubber used in making the Ultrex. If it does not soak up Tru-Oil, I'm good, but if it does, then there goes the "grippy" quality that I purchased it for. My hope is that I can dampen a finished piece with Tru-Oil, wipe it right off, and have the rubber shed it, but just enough gets into the G10 layers to seal it......we'll see.
Let us know what you think of it when you get it finished. I’ve been thinking about ordering some. Wonder what a fine scotchbrite belt finish would look like?

Back