Finished Photo -Finally back in the shop with a new build

opaul

It's been quite a while since I've ventured out to the shop. I've hand the notion but the spirit just wasn't willing. But today I decided to get off my duff and went out to the shop, which was a mess and cleaned it up. Much better to start a new project with a semi-clean shop.
I've had a piece of elk antler slab I've been saving for over a year. I cut it in half and attempting to make the blade to the antler. When finished this knife will be approx. 10" long with a 5 inch blade, steel is 1084. I'm still undecided what material to use on the front and end of the scales to hide the pith. The bark on this antler is beautiful. I'm hoping that with careful fitting I can limit the amount of material I have to remove on the flat sides. The top and bottom will get sanded when shaping the handle. The butt will be shaped but I left it square until I decide how I want to proceed.

It's been quite a while since I've ventured out to the shop. I've hand the notion but the spirit just wasn't willing. But today I decided to get off my duff and went out to the shop, which was a mess and cleaned it up. Much better to start a new project with a semi-clean shop.
I've had a piece of elk antler slab I've been saving for over a year. I cut it in half and attempting to make the blade to the antler. When finished this knife will be approx. 10" long with a 5 inch blade, steel is 1084. I'm still undecided what material to use on the front and end of the scales to hide the pith. The bark on this antler is beautiful. I'm hoping that with careful fitting I can limit the amount of material I have to remove on the flat sides. The top and bottom will get sanded when shaping the handle. The butt will be shaped but I left it square until I decide how I want to proceed.

Sweet elk antler.! Save as much of that bark as possible.

That is a sweet piece of elk.
Thanks Dennis. If I had it to do over (famous last words) I would have sanded the slab thinner, although I did sand the slab quite a bit. I may have been able to have kept more bark that way, but not sure. Definitely could have gone thinner though since I used a black micarta space.

Last edited:
Back