finish on ipe

franklin

Hey guys was just given two decking pieces of ipe wood anyone here use it before,or now a good finish for it?
I really now nothing about this wood any help wood be great or pics.

calvin how did you like the looks of it? it is pretty plain looking but the fact of how stable it is makes me want to try it.

It's not pretty but it is very dense and hard and will last forever. The people that import it for use as decking say it will last 50 years in the weather without any treatment.

I got a piece about 5" x 3 feet that was 5/16 thick. It warped pretty bad but no cracks. I'd have some flattening to do before I could use it for handles. The place I got it from claims it has the same fire rating as concrete. Same natural beauty too. :-D

Franklin,

I use it a lot. My friend Ismael is the manager of a hardwood lumber store. I get scrap from him all the time. He has both ipe and true Brazilian black walnut. Ipe is very dense, eats belts for dinner, and polishes well without any finish. I sand out to 600 grit, then do 4 coats of tung oil just for the shine factor. It's kinda my go to utility wood for handles. It will char nicely and look old if you need that effect. I have torched it then cleaned it up for the effect before. You can burn it with the grinder if you go too fast also. Besides in my case it's free and I have a ton of it.

image0009.jpg

Regards,

George

Thanks guys with all the info you gave me i might give it a wherl on a tactical knife. its kind of dark and durable i think that fits the bill.

I like to wet sand it with 400 and then 600 grit sand paper, then a couple of coats of linseed oil.

Ric

Back