Finger Choil Advantages ..... not seeing it

Shane Wink

I made a couple hunting knives for some hog hunters a while back and they insisted that the blades both have large finger choils in front of the guard. I did as they asked but just never could understand why they wanted them and for what real purpose they really served. If I am going to be stabbing a hog or any creature for that matter the last thing I would want would be to place my fingers in front of the guard. Also if a good deep stab is made the finger choils look lik they could hang up inside the body when trying to recall the blade.

When I played with the blades checking the edges and such the choils did feel comfortable but still they seemed to be just wasted space on a blade. Other than stabbing something the very edge next to the ricaso is the most used area of the blade for me.

I can see where a choil behind the guard like on a randal or maybe even as Shiva Kia has done being useful for allowing a very strong grip with a slash or thrust but still would be cumbersome when using the knife for general use.

So what am I missing when it comes to integrating a choil into a design? Why would I want/need one?

Personally I am struggling with staying open minded about them but thought I would ask before making a final judgment on them.

Shane,
I have made a few Hog blades so to speak and I think the perpose your customers were after was being able to choke up on a large blade for removing hide.skinning. I put a index finger choil and second finger on all of my knives both field and culinary ' behind the ricassio" and find that having that cutout for indexing Balance and control helps quite alot.

I don't think your customers are planing on stabbing a live hog with their fingers just behind the blade edge!:what!:

Lol Yes the knives are for literally stabbing hogs through the heart that are bayed with dogs. The two guys insist its a rush and the only way they hunt the hogs now. I am in Louisiana and we can get a little different. They even produced home videos of them hunting this way and sell them for 5 dollars to others lol.

I can see where the choil would be an advantage in the style you are talking about but with a hunting blade and how they are gripping them it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, I am sure its quite a rush!
I will pass on having to stab with a knife designed that way unless its the only way I could in a life threating situation.

The thing that I don't like about Hog hunting with dogs is that sometimes the dogs get killed or injured. I love ,my dogs to much to put them in harms way like that over a hog. I guess for people that really need the meat I could see it?

I think they really like the hot blood pouring over their hand and if they cut themselves they are bonded with the hog in blood brotherhood. I guess you folks are a little different in the Bayou state. lol

I hear ya but make no mistake I am not one of them lol. I prefer a bow or rifle for hogs. I have a no ninja zone on my land lol!

Back