Finally Got Back in the Shop - Finished Pics Added

opaul

Seems like with my part time job that is taking up more of my retirement time ;( - I did take time today to get out in the shop. This is a random pattern that evolved from a piece of 80CRV that was on the bench. I didn't use a pattern on this one, just started grinding it out and then tried to refine the shape. The oven is heating up now and I'll be heat treating it soon. Haven't decided what to use for the scales yet. I'm thinking this is more of a camp knife - any other opinions??

The blade is 5” long and the handle is 4-3/8”. The spine is just under 3/16”.

Seems like with my part time job that is taking up more of my retirement time ;( - I did take time today to get out in the shop. This is a random pattern that evolved from a piece of 80CRV that was on the bench. I didn't use a pattern on this one, just started grinding it out and then tried to refine the shape. The oven is heating up now and I'll be heat treating it soon. Haven't decided what to use for the scales yet. I'm thinking this is more of a camp knife - any other opinions??
I like it! With the type of point it resembles a camp knife. Do a slight drop point and it becomes more of a hunter! IMHO

WTH is that below the knife? Don't know why but is intriguing!!

A big game knife for the likes of elk and moose etc needs the slightly longer blade like you have on this one and it has ideal belly in the right place so skinning and breaking down of the animal is easily accomplished. To my eye if it curves from about an inch back from the tip with close to an 1/8 more nose it would be about perfect for that job as it allows for edge up hold and opening up down legs and belly skin of animal but it would also still have camp knife capability

I like it! With the type of point it resembles a camp knife. Do a slight drop point and it becomes more of a hunter! IMHO

WTH is that below the knife? Don't know why but is intriguing!!

It’s a little multi tool I put there for scale. It’s part of my everyday pocket carry. Never know when you will run into a cold beer with a non-twist top, something that needs to be pried or cutting boxing tape. They make all types but I purchased a few of these as gifts and had a few left over.

I finished hand sanding the blade and I have the scales mounted and curing. I decided to go with blue canvas micarta with black carbon pins and a black G10 liner. I’ll post up a picture soon.

Back