Finally Back in the Shop and Producing!

OP in my opinion it is just what level of kool that an antler handle is going to give. The only antler handle I have seen that I didn't like, was a new maker. He had ground the antler down to the point he got into the pith in the middle of the antler!! Handle was to skinny and pith shows even worse when you try to color it. Color is darker in the pith and the color makes it stand out like a sore thumb!!

I had to go back and re-read the initial post as I thought the spacer and pommel was dyed leather. Good combination of colors.
I agree and although there can be many antler handled blades each one is going to be unique.

How'd you get the old handle off? I believe you saved the guard, correct? Did you just warm up the epoxy until it released?

Here's what I just did. I was trying to shorten a handle that was too long.

I know how I'm going to get the wood off - just break it, but I want to save the spacer. This is the first knife I tried JB Weld epoxy. And wondering if by heating it up you were able to save anything.131_2092.JPG
Thanks OP.

Though I have not done it myself I have read here about guys freezing the knife (in your freezer) and having success breaking the epoxy bond loose because it gets brittle If you search you should find the thread. Good luck.

How'd you get the old handle off? I believe you saved the guard, correct? Did you just warm up the epoxy until it released?

Here's what I just did. I was trying to shorten a handle that was too long.

I know how I'm going to get the wood off - just break it, but I want to save the spacer. This is the first knife I tried JB Weld epoxy. And wondering if by heating it up you were able to save anything.View attachment 69275
Thanks OP.

I cut as much as I could on my metal bandsaw being careful not to cut or damage the through tang. This left about an eighth of an inch or so around the tang. also cut around the existing bolster. Once I had as much material removed as I could that way I put the grinder on a slow speed and removed the residual epoxy and wood. On the back of the bolster I was able to use a sharp chisel to accomplish the rest.

Last edited:
I cut as much as I could on my metal bandsaw being careful not to cut or damage the through tang. This left about an eighth of an inch or so around the tang. also cut around the existing bolster. Once I had as much material removed as I could that way I put the grinder on a slow speed and removed the residual epoxy and wood. On the back of the bolster I was able to use a sharp chisel to accomplish the rest.

I got most off last night with the exception of about 1/16 of the wood handle. I realized heat wasn't going to work and I see I'll have to sand this down even. Thanks for the reply and good idea on scraping the rest. I hope to land perfect on the fiber spacer.

hough I have not done it myself I have read here about guys freezing the knife (in your freezer) and having success breaking the epoxy bond loose because it gets brittle If you search you should find the thread. Good luck.
Thanks Chris I'll check it out.

Back