Finally Back in the Shop and Producing!

opaul

Seems like it has been tough getting back into the shop and making blades. I was able to remove the African blackwood handle off a blade that just didn't fit well. I decided to go with antler and micarta spacers. I reshaped the pommel and fitted/sanded the spacers to 120 grit. Once the epoxy is set I'll start the finish work. It's good to be back!

Geez ,opaul, I was beginning to get worried. You haven't been around lately and I was wondering if I finally stepped over the line with y'all.

I know what it is like to have to re-do something OP. I was on the finish clean-up of three matched knives (with different handle woods though) and had a brass bolster on one where the pin had not riveted properly and it could be seen with the dark ring round it. It was very nervous drilling out from both sides till I had it removed and coulld drive another pin through and rivet it sucessfully so that when finished it dissapared into the brass as it should and as the rest had.
It shows your drive to perfect every aspect of your knives that you would remove the handle you wernt happy with to re do it for a knife you can be proud to show and sell.

I know what it is like to have to re-do something OP. I was on the finish clean-up of three matched knives (with different handle woods though) and had a brass bolster on one where the pin had not riveted properly and it could be seen with the dark ring round it. It was very nervous drilling out from both sides till I had it removed and coulld drive another pin through and rivet it sucessfully so that when finished it dissapared into the brass as it should and as the rest had.
It shows your drive to perfect every aspect of your knives that you would remove the handle you wernt happy with to re do it for a knife you can be proud to show and sell.
Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully this one will finish out nicely.
I suspect drilling out that rivet was nerve racking. If anything I would like to have some of your patience.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful knife. I really like the material/color combination. Great shape too.
Thanks! I had some of this micarta left over. It was purchased as a scale set with black/green/terra-cotta. I doubled up the bolster spacers and used one layer at the pommel.

You made the right call!! That looks much better to me! Not that the other was bad! This just looks better!!
I have to agree. The African black wood plus the initial handle shaping just wasn’t were it needed to be. I like the color combo of this one much better.

Thanks! Working with antler you never quite know how the finish is going to turn out.

OP in my opinion it is just what level of kool that an antler handle is going to give. The only antler handle I have seen that I didn't like, was a new maker. He had ground the antler down to the point he got into the pith in the middle of the antler!! Handle was to skinny and pith shows even worse when you try to color it. Color is darker in the pith and the color makes it stand out like a sore thumb!!

I had to go back and re-read the initial post as I thought the spacer and pommel was dyed leather. Good combination of colors.

Back