Filing on blades question?

Dave Broughton

I like to file on blades, mainly Damascus due to it being softer than stainless most of the time. What are the best files to buy for this and where can I purchase them? Also, will diamond discs work on Damascus?

Most file work is done before heat treating while the blade is still soft. After heat treating it can be touched up again with diamond files or dremel and small stones. Carbide burrs on a dremel will cut hard steel also. Most all the knife supply catalogs have them, I would check here at Midwest Knifemakers Supply first. Diamond discs will cut anything but may wear the diamonds off right on the cutting edge.

Thanks for the info.....I don't have the opportunity to file before heat treating since I buy my blades, don't make my own.........The Damascus blades file fairly well and I get pretty good results but I work my butt off getting it done. I'm thinking that the dremel tool is the answer but what must I buy that can stand the abuse? Are the carbide burrs the best way to go?

Yes, I would think that carbide is the best way to go. In a rotary tool if you are looking for something on the special side consider something in the larger size of HP that are sold but an inexpensive $20 job with a speed control on it will cut pretty darn good. Remember, this tools want to make round or oval cuts so you may still want some carbide files. Frank

Yes, I would think that carbide is the best way to go. In a rotary tool if you are looking for something on the special side consider something in the larger size of HP that are sold but an inexpensive $20 job with a speed control on it will cut pretty darn good. Remember, this tools want to make round or oval cuts so you may still want some carbide files. Frank

Thanks, I'm doing some investigating as we speak. I like what I'm seeing so for.

Get a Fordom Flex shaft hand drill and use carbide burrs. You can check for a Foredom on Ebay. For about $200.00 maybe a little more you get one of these machines and the uses are endless.

I have had mine for 15 years.

Back