Filet Knife Question

Don McNeil

First question: Assuming stainless steel is the best option...which SS should I use. Along with your answer could you also please give an overview of heat treating for the given steel. I have never worked with SS before but I do have an oven for temp control.

Second Question: Would 1084 or 1096 or 5160 or even O1 make an acceptable filet knife?

All the steels you mentioned would make acceptable knives. The problem of course is the corrosion factor.

I would recommend using something like 440c, 154 cm, or s30v. If you insist on using a carbon (ish) steel look at D2 as an option.

In regards to the heat treating info check out AKS.com under any of their blade steels.

On my Filet blades I use 440C. The last one I done I used 1/8", the customer wanted something that would be good on catfish and hold a edge, This is the recipe I used. Placed in oven, ramped up to 1450 deg, hold for 15 minutes, then to 1900 deg hold for 20 minutes. Plate quench, place in toaster oven for snap temper @ 200 deg for 2 hrs. Then placed in LN over night. RC @ 63, 1st temper 350 deg for 2 hrs. Back in LN overnight. 2nd temper 400 deg @ 2 hrs, Rc @ 60, did a 3rd temper @ 430 deg for 2 hrs to get RC @59. I don't remember why I did the LN twice and don't know if it works. But the customer was happy.

Fillet preference

I prefer ATS34, 1/16" stock. Flat grind. Harden at 1900 degrees, temper at 350-375 degrees for 2 hours. I have used 440c also with very similar results. Both work well. Both are very easy to grind and HT.

Milt

Attachments

• IMGP1940.jpg
    IMGP1940.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 21
If you, or I should say the customer, doesn't mind a patina, all the non-stainless/carbon steels you mentioned will make a fine fillet knife. I've made a few from 15n20, it is a good steel and is readily available in thin stock that is ideal for food knives.

Back