File to Razor 99.9% Complete

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
Almost done with this one... I think lol. I have ZERO idea what a “great straight razor” is really is supposed to be. I’ve googled it some, but this project was more about me playing around and getting to know my grinder. I have already posted pics of the razor in another thread; however, I’ve done a fair amount of work on it since that time. I figured I’d put up new pics.

The steel is from an old Nicholson file. It was kept very cool while grinding and is SUPER hard. I’m also attaching a sketch of a few measurements that I took after hand sanding.

Again, I am totally clueless here as to how thin it needs to be. I’m assuming that I’m not even close.

Thanks for looking and please advise and critique. My improvement is highly dependent on your honesty.

2B3FD47A-E878-4912-8CBE-F56AA6941899.jpegFE8EAEA9-3FE0-4258-BA2B-E20754335259.jpeg0F559A90-C6E9-4C1A-BA8F-444B956C4931.jpeg1BEF4101-ED61-4E31-83A1-7BFB48997AB3.jpeg3391AAC0-0EDF-4FEE-A2C0-F6C30280C3F6.jpeg

Last edited:
I've made about 25 razors and the steel makes a huge difference. Imho O1 gives the best shave .Looking at your photo you have what's called a near wedge. Some guys love a near wedge and I have one in my stable of razors.As for the geometry of the blade it should lay flat on a stone and the angle from edge to spine should be 17 degrees. This means that the thickness of the spine dictates how wide the blade can be.Thicker the spine wider the blade,thinner the spine the narrower the blade.The edge should be fine as frogs hair and is on another level as compared to a knife and I use a microscope to look and evaluate my edge.The final edge test after honing is cutting a hanging hair. Anything else will leave your skin feeling like you shaved with a lawnmower.

Good for you Kevin! Your tree is growing new branches!! I like the profile and how you kept the file in all the right places!!

I am still not going to test it for you Kevin no matter how good it is ;)

You ever watch the old westerns where the barber is stretching that skin as tight. I remember one where the fella sits in the chair and says and "don't cut me like last time", as he un-holsters his gun and lays it in his lap. The camera pans back to the old barber and his hand is shaking like a dog trying to pass a peach seed! As the razor touches the skin he gets steady! LOL

I've made about 25 razors and the steel makes a huge difference. Imho O1 gives the best shave .Looking at your photo you have what's called a near wedge. Some guys love a near wedge and I have one in my stable of razors.As for the geometry of the blade it should lay flat on a stone and the angle from edge to spine should be 17 degrees. This means that the thickness of the spine dictates how wide the blade can be.Thicker the spine wider the blade,thinner the spine the narrower the blade.The edge should be fine as frogs hair and is on another level as compared to a knife and I use a microscope to look and evaluate my edge.The final edge test after honing is cutting a hanging hair. Anything else will leave your skin feeling like you shaved with a lawnmower.
Thank you very much! I did the calculations and the angle is 12.86 degrees. I hope that’s ok.

Good for you Kevin! Your tree is growing new branches!! I like the profile and how you kept the file in all the right places!!

You ever watch the old westerns where the barber is stretching that skin as tight. I remember one where the fella sits in the chair and says and "don't cut me like last time", as he un-holsters his gun and lays it in his lap. The camera pans back to the old barber and his hand is shaking like a dog trying to pass a peach seed! As the razor touches the skin he gets steady! LOL
Thanks, CC. That’s a cool story. It reminds me of The Color Purple.

Thanks, CC. That’s a cool story. It reminds me of The Color Purple.

You know I have been thinking about that since I quoted it!! I think I may have two movies crossed in my mind. One of those was this movie, it is an old Clint Eastwood movie! this one!!! Note the barbers hand when the two guys walk in behind him!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=clint+eastwood+movie+where+he+is+geting+a+shave&ru=/search?q=clint+eastwood+movie+where+he+is+geting+a+shave&go=Search&qs=ds&form=QBVDMH&view=detail&mid=7B9C3BECC7D29B3717317B9C3BECC7D29B371731&&mmscn=tpvh&FORM=VDRVRV

You know I have been thinking about that since I quoted it!! I think I may have two movies crossed in my mind. One of those was this movie, it is an old Clint Eastwood movie! this one!!! Note the barbers hand when the two guys walk in behind him!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=clint+eastwood+movie+where+he+is+geting+a+shave&ru=/search?q=clint+eastwood+movie+where+he+is+geting+a+shave&go=Search&qs=ds&form=QBVDMH&view=detail&mid=7B9C3BECC7D29B3717317B9C3BECC7D29B371731&&mmscn=tpvh&FORM=VDRVRV
Love it!

Looking at the picture of the cross section I think you may want to check your math it looks like 12.85 degrees to me. I think the slight curve is deceptive. All jokes aside THAT is very cool, great work brother.

Looking at the picture of the cross section I think you may want to check your math it looks like 12.85 degrees to me. I think the slight curve is deceptive. All jokes aside THAT is very cool, great work brother.
Thank you! And LOL! You had me at first haha. The formula for this is very easy. I know you all probably know this already but in case some don’t....
1) take width (at the top of bevel) and divide by 2

2) divide the answer from 1) by the height of the grind

3) go to google and type in “arctan of (answer from 2)) in degrees

Last edited:
That word "arctan" stirred some emotions and a part of my brain I forgot I had ever used! I felt this cold chill run up my spine and I was looking around for my old math teacher!

I blurted out no sir I was not asleep in class!!! Just shut my eyes to say a prayer that I didn't fail this test!!! f21f5487061e610ebf2dbff5121aa0df_384.pngWell it worked back then till I had to solve it on the chalk board. OK so I just dated myself with that one!! I think that is why I only did the half of a year. That an the brain, I sat next too moved to the front of the class!!

That word "arctan" stirred some emotions and a part of my brain I forgot I had ever used! I felt this cold chill run up my spine and I was looking around for my old math teacher!

I blurted out no sir I was not asleep in class!!! Just shut my eyes to say a prayer that I didn't fail this test!!! View attachment 67697Well it worked back then till I had to solve it on the chalk board. OK so I just dated myself with that one!! I think that is why I only did the half of a year. That an the brain, I sat next too moved to the front of the class!!
You sound like my dad lol

Back