Fighter in cocobolo

dereklee12

My second hidden tang but getting better. 1095 with a subtle hamon that I couldnt catch in the photo. the blade is about 4 3/4" with a 4 1/2"handle. Cold blue guard, 416 stainless pin and a thin tan g10 spacer between the guard and the handle. Thanks for taking a look. as always any feedback good or bad is welcome.
Derek Lee

fighter.jpg

I like it over all

On your next handle try to shape it for the contours of the human hand.
Maybe get some modeling clay from a art store and play with a shape that feels really comfy in your hand. a bit of a swell in the middle of the palm and smaller in the pinky finger area. Look around at the many fighters and handles others do.

You are doing great.

You're doing great

Quote Bruce Bump: "It needs to look like it's going about 80 mph. Slim and fast."

Thanks Laurence but Im not sure what you mean. Do you mean that I should cut into the handle where the pinky goes in the width or thickness? I am grateful for your help dont get me wrong.

Thanks Laurence but Im not sure what you mean. Do you mean that I should cut into the handle where the pinky goes in the width or thickness? I am grateful for your help dont get me wrong.

Yes,
Get some modeling clay, the kind that doesn't dry out fast put some in your palm and form it into a handle and you will see that the pinky is the shortest finger and feels better when you shape or groove the handle to allow for this.DSCN1862.jpg

Thats one of my handles. You can do what ever you like, I am just trying to show how I allow for the pinky being shorter in the handle shape.

Close your fist, Then just open your pinky and open and close it a few times with the rest of your handle still closed.
Feel that tendon in the bottom of your arm from moving your pinky?
If you don't relive that area so the pinky doesn't get over stretched, it can make your whole arm tired.
I learned this using "Top end" culinary and field knives for hours with crappy production handles.

Did I explain it a little better for you? Yours is a custom knife. You want the customer to feel that the blade is an extension of the hand without stressed parts.

Thanks Laurence I understand you. That's a really good point about your arm getting tired just from your little finger. I will defiantly take your advice and get some modeling clay.
Derek Lee

Back