Fifth overall

Johan Nel

This is my fifth knife that I have finished to date and one of my own design, although it will hardly be unique in shape. I will be making more of them, with some tweaks. I like the design.
I seem to be extremely slow in the process of making knives, it took me six months from start to finish. This was my first knife done on a grinder, all blades previously made was by hand filing with a jig.

Basic details:
  1. Steel is 5160, 6mm thick;
  2. Overall lenght is 25cm;
  3. Blade is almost 13cm & the handle is slightly longer than 12cm;
  4. Flat grind;
  5. Scales are coloured hessian in resin and 0.8mm black G10 liners with 4mm brass pins;
  6. The blade was darkened with ferric to assist against rust as 5160 seems highly susceptable to 'iron lice' in our neck of the woods :cool:
  7. I am by no means proficient in working with leather. I kinda winged on the process of making the sheath, but it came out nice enough. Still lot to learn on that, but I do enjoy working with leather.
IMG_20190611_214117.jpg

IMG_20190611_214324.jpg

IMG_20190611_213550.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate it. I like the Hessian or burlap as well, Doug. The material that I used in this build was bought from a local knife maker that specializes in folders. I want to try my hand at making some myself. We are just limited in the choice of resins or epoxy here in South Africa, but I'll give it a go and see how it goes.

Real nice, much better than my fifth knife!!

When photographing pick a one color background that compliments the knife. Or at least something that is not real busy!! I like outside photos when I can!!

Real nice, much better than my fifth knife!!

When photographing pick a one color background that compliments the knife. Or at least something that is not real busy!! I like outside photos when I can!!
Thanks for the advice on the photographing C Craft. I will keep that in mind when next I take photos.

Back