Ferric Formula

Looks good Bruce! Could be the difference in temp or just the difference in the steel itself. I use Alabama Damascus 98% of the time and it always takes a good etch.
this is alabama damascus so it must be either temp or prep. just have to buy more, i guess and try again, although I am not displeased with this.

So, i'm guessing you guys are buying billets and then profiling/grinding, etc.?

I was browsing their site and the billets are generally 16" (ish), so are you getting 2 knives from a billet? Feel free to correct or add anything I'm missing.

Does anyone know the composition of Alabama Damascus steel? I couldn't find it on the website but notice they sell 1075 and 5160 barstock.

I couldn't find it anywhere on Alabama Damascus website either - seems like once upon a time I did find it there along with HT'ing info, but it's not with HT'ing info now.

"Alabama Damascus Steel presents knives that are made with Damascus steel blade. These knives consists 3 layers of 52100, 4 layers of 5160, 3 layers of 203E, and 3 layers of 15N2o. The combination is forged and folded 5 times to create another 416 layers."

From website: https://www.knifecountryusa.com/sto...rder to meet the,to create another 416 layers.

I couldn't find it anywhere on Alabama Damascus website either - seems like once upon a time I did find it there along with HT'ing info, but it's not with HT'ing info now.

"Alabama Damascus Steel presents knives that are made with Damascus steel blade. These knives consists 3 layers of 52100, 4 layers of 5160, 3 layers of 203E, and 3 layers of 15N2o. The combination is forged and folded 5 times to create another 416 layers."

From website: https://www.knifecountryusa.com/store/manufacturer/1586/alabama-damascus-steel-knives.html#:~:text=In order to meet the,to create another 416 layers.
Thanks, Ken. Lotsa components. Complex mixture for trying to predict etching.

So, i'm guessing you guys are buying billets and then profiling/grinding, etc.?

I was browsing their site and the billets are generally 16" (ish), so are you getting 2 knives from a billet? Feel free to correct or add anything I'm missing.
I buy from him a lot on Facebook. Some billets I buy are 4 inches wide and 18 inches long. I can get four knives out of them. His prices are a little cheaper on Facebook. Lacy Smith is a really good guy to do business with. Got to visit a little while with him at Bladeshow this year.

I buy from him a lot on Facebook. Some billets I buy are 4 inches wide and 18 inches long. I can get four knives out of them. His prices are a little cheaper on Facebook. Lacy Smith is a really good guy to do business with. Got to visit a little while with him at Bladeshow this year.
Even though I make my own Damascus I bought $20 worth of drops from him at Blade and I managed to get five knives out of them. Cannot beat the price. Plus I will use my cutoffs in a can later on. If you guys do not use your cutoffs feel free to mail them to me, I will pay postage lol.

Even though I make my own Damascus I bought $20 worth of drops from him at Blade and I managed to get five knives out of them. Cannot beat the price. Plus I will use my cutoffs in a can later on. If you guys do not use your cutoffs feel free to mail them to me, I will pay postage lol.
I usually take my scrap pieces and make Christmas gifts for the ladies in our family. See the fish on this piece. Wasn’t planned that way. Just happened.
069ADAB5-5EFD-4B59-B6BA-FBC8F6152B0E.jpeg

i buy from him on ebay. be aware, there is an outfit calling themselves "alabama damascus" but its not. Our guy is located in Jacksonville, Alabama. this other oufit is vice cutlery located in wellington alabama.

I may start doing this as well. I have a place locally that is "tooled" up for it and just charges a monthly fee. Just gotta get some free time to check it out.

Back