Feric Chloride Mix

buckaroo

I want to try etching a hamon on a blade made from 1084. I know the acid needs to be deluded. How much acid to water do I use.
Thanks.

4 parts water to 1 part FeCl is a good standard mix. It's what I use and many other makers I know. I've also heard 5:1, 3:1 and 50/50.

To bring out all the activity in hamon, you don't want the acid too strong. Also, I wouldn't expect too much out of 1084 for hamon but you can get it. It just probably won't be as active as 1075, w2, 1095 or w1.

I want to try etching a hamon on a blade made from 1084. I know the acid needs to be deluded. How much acid to water do I use.
Thanks.

Wear gloves, wash your blade with windex first, rinse in cold water then dunk, and make sure that the ferric Chloride is sealed so pets and people don't get into it and clearly marked.

Thanks guys.
Another question for you. If I wanted to etch a design not a hamon but maybe stars or flames would I use the acid un deluded.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

You could still use the mix. Damascus is etched still using the diluted mix.

You can use clear nail polish to 'mask' any areas or shapes you don't want etched. I suppose then that you could make any shapes you wanted.

Back