Ferdco Pro 440R Machine

Meridian Blades

Moderator - Knife Maker
Anybody know anything about these machines? Sheath work on it ??

F3.jpg

ferdco1.jpg

F2.jpg

That thing looks mean. Dad bought a stitcher a while back, the sales man literately stitched through pennies with it. How ever it was not this brand. With a snout like that I would think it would be good for boots or saddle work. You may have some difficulties doing edge work with it since it has such a small and rounded work surface. The Ferdco is a copy of a Adler machine that is a awesome machine. I believe you will find the Ferdco a inferior machine that is only able to do lighter gauge work.

Last edited:
Asked around a little and one important note that you need to know, if you plan on using it for sheathes, is this is a non-walking model. Which means your stitches will not be as uniformed as using a walking foot model. I would guess its worth around $600 assuming all is in good working order.

Asked around a little and one important note that you need to know, if you plan on using it for sheathes, is this is a non-walking model. Which means your stitches will not be as uniformed as using a walking foot model. I would guess its worth around $600 assuming all is in good working order.

thanks Jameasun............and the quest continues.

I disagree with your statement about being inferior....the Ferdco machines are not clones of the Adler...they are clones of the Juki 441 saddle stitcher (as are the Artisan 3000/4000 and the Cobra Class 3/4) and are excellent machines. The machine in the photo (the Pro 440) is a short throat saddle machine that will go up to 468 thread....I have owned a Ferdco Pro- 2000 (larger throat depth) for over 6 years...it is a great machine and has produced many holsters, knife sheaths ,saddle bags, etc.. The Adler you refer to is a German machine made by Durcopff the word Adler is german for Eagle.

If you have occasion to look at Paul Long's video you will see that he is using an Artisan 4000...a clone of the 441 Juki...soo ...unless you have experience using a Ferdco or other 441 clones ...please refrain from knocking their performance

Last edited:
I agree with Outrider re: the stitching - in fact for years the Ferdco machines won the best stitching award from the Harnessmaker's Journal.
Also the Ferdco is a bottom feed machine so the stitching is still controlled by a feed mechanism and not just by hand alone, if you're gluing your parts together first anyway a walking foot is not absolutely necessary at all and can in fact at times create problems with marks on the top surface. And with a speed range of 0-800 SPI they are very controllable.
As for getting close to the edge - they offer different feet setups (just go to their web site) for that and even without it I've used them quite successfully. IIRC the R denotes it's reversible allowing a backstitch, which is nice, but not absolutelly necessary

Also I used Ferdinand/Ferdco machines in various shops for years and they are one heck of a machine so if you can pick one up don't despair and like any other machine out there there is a learning curve.
BTW - technically a stitcher is a needle and awl machine like the Campbell-Randalls, Landis #3, and Union Lock Stitch machines that can use linen thread to sew with and my preffered machine but then again I only make period gear these days and that ability counts in my market (actually I mostly sew by hand again due to the market place I specialize in) . Yep a lot of manufacturers apply the term stitcher to sewing machines, but for old timers like myself it tain't so (or is that sew :les: )

Cobras, Artisans, Adlers, Jukis, etc are also fine machines and I've used them all at one time or another in the last 50 years, but the quality of the work that can be done with a Ferdco is right up there with the best.

Last edited:
Outrider and Chuck tell it the way it is. I use an Artisan 3000 for sheath and holster work and it does all that I can require of any piece of equipment. ---Sandy---

I use an Artisan as well. Purchased from the Springfield Leather Company. They are also on line. I think mine is the 3200 and the very high clearance for sewing thick leather up to 7/8 inch has been very useful. Mine has the large heavy hand wheel which is really useful to slow things down....especially for rookies like me! Still down on the learning curve. Very glad I just went ahead and spent the money for a decent machine. Whatever you do make sure there is a large flat work surface to move things around. I don't work on boots or saddles and everything is pretty much flat...holsters, belts, sheaths, etc., so the work table is a necessity.

Back