Fell asleep while tempering a spring

JPSWorks

Another heat treating related question. Been trying to search for this answer and not sure I've found the right one.

Late last night I was tempering another spring at 1000 deg for 2 hours my Paragon oven/furnace. But I fell asleep and woke up about six hours later and quickly went to remove it. The two was still at 182 deg. The oven is set to turn off right at the 2 hour mark, but I've always taken the parts our right at the 2 hour mark.

I'm worried that I ruined the temper by letting it cool down that slow after it being at 1000 deg for 2 hours. Can anyone weigh in on this?

From what I understand if it didn't get to non magnetic it won't anneal the steel. But I might have made the spring a but too soft.

John

As the man said, hit it with a file, you'll find the file will cut as the Rc is most likely less than 50, but that's what you're looking for. I'd expect the spring to be just fine.

Ken H>

You might have done a sub-critical anneal. From what I remember about carbides I think that you will have reduced their size but admittedly it's manipulating carbides by heat treatment that I'm still trying to get my head around. It's probably a sign of old age:lol:.

Doug

Back