Feb. 2013--Bubble Jig with a mystery damascus billet to grind on giveaway.

Doing the final weld on the billet this morning; it will have 240 layers. I'll forge the bevels this afternoon, grind in the ladders and with a little luck, forge the billet to finish. I'll post a pic as soon as the billet is complete. Remember, the drawing is tomorrow, so if you haven't got a number pick one now.

Last edited:
DSC01723.JPG

This is the original 240 layer random pattern billet. The billet was cut in half.
DSC01729.JPG

This pic shows the two halves; the top one has the bevels forged into it.
DSC01731.JPG

Here is the billet with lines marked
DSC01734.JPG

DSC01733.JPG

Here the grooves have been ground into the billet.
DSC01726.JPG

This is the die in the press used to forge the bevels.
bi
I'll forge the grooved billet tomorrow morning and surface grind and etch in the afternoon. Should be ready for the drawing tomorrow night.

Here is the completed ladder pattern billet. The bevels are rough ground, distal taper is forged forward towards the tip. Grooving the billet after the bevels are rough forged and then re-heating the billet and finish forging to shape is the only way I know that produces this refined a pattern. The billet can be finished as either a full or hidden tang knife. 5/32 x 1 1/2 x 9 inches. 1084/15n20 240 layers.
DSC01735.JPG

Last edited:
The winning number is 853.

%2520paydaky%2520-%2520Edited.jpg

Darren Sanders with his pic of 866 is closest. Congratulations Sir, you are our winner.

DSC01735.JPG
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Congratulations Darrin and thanks Fred for putting the jig and Damascus (Nice looking pattern) up for the draw

Back