Feathering adhesive alternative?

Stew

Living in the UK means I don't have the same stuff available to me to buy, unless I import it.

One of those things that I can't buy here is 3M feathering adhesive, which seems crazy so I sent 3M a message asking if they could provide it.

The response was that it isn't sold in the UK at all but if I told him what i was using it for, he would look into an alternative.

This was the reply:

I have spoken to a colleague in the adhesives division about this for you. We do not have a direct alternative but he advised you could try our Spray 77 adhesive.

For what you are doing, the recommendation would be to spray 1 surface only (probably the back of the disc) and then wait 1 minute before attaching to the machine. This product should give low peel strength (enabling you to change the discs) but good shear strength when you're running the sander.

Hopefully this should work for you - let me know how you get on!

You could buy it from one of our distributors online, link below :

http://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/3M_Pro...dhesives.htm?gclid=CMCDjpmegKkCFcPrKgodLUL9Vw

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether it would work or should i just get some feathering adhesive sent over?

I use that adhesive for both grinding disks and holding T-shirts on a platen during screen printing. It stays tacky and I can probably print 100 shirts before spraying it again. With grinding disks I try to remember to remove the disk when I am done so I don't have a problem removing it a month later.

I too used it for discs years ago. If I remember right varsol worked great for cleaning off the disc when necessary. Frank

Spray works fine. 3M 77 works too well. Find some cheap stuff. Spray it on and let it sit a few minutes before applying to disc. There must be some sort of feathering adhesive over there. What are all the auto body shops using? Have they all gone over to hook & loop?

Right now, I'm using the cheapest spray-on adhesive I could find at the auto parts store. Spray one side only, let it get tacky, then apply the paper to the disk. Works great.

Also used the 77 and found that it was an excellent product. Just more expensive for the same results.

Back