Feather damascus

Freds Edge

I have been working on this billet , its about 2/3 the size I started with .I now have 160 layers and the next step is splinting it fingers crossed.
20181216-184549.jpg

I thought I read that was a consideration with Damascus. Just because you start with X amount of steel that does not mean it will yield X amount of Damascus.

I would not think so. On a feather pattern you get the feather look when you split it then weld it back together. Worst case some of the layers would be a little thicker. Maybe if you are making something really different adding more stock may change it. At my level lol,,,, I don't have to worry about it.

The good thing about feather pattern, is that there can be an endless variety of "recipes". Fred has taken the first steps that most do..... a straight layered billet, split, then rewelded.

I would anticipate that the next step would be to build a "W" pattern, then split/reweld that. Many shy away from building feather pattern because it often gets insanely time consuming, and most folks don't have the equipment that will split more than a 3-4" billet.

Probably the biggest fail point in any feather billet is that weld after it's been split...... If you can nail it 6 out of 10 times your better than most. If you say you can do it 8 out of 10 times....you likely a liar! :)

Ed you are 100% correct , when I welded the split I had an area that failed to weld . That reduced my material to a folder size . I want to do a W pattern but Don't think my 69 year old arm will hold out.

Oh Fred! Even at my "young" 55, I don't think I'd go after a feather billet by hand. If it wasn't for the air hammer and Orange Crush (the press), I certainly would not try/do many of the things I do when it comes to damascus/patterns.

Ed I am looking for a press , one of these days I will have one. Then I will need to build a better forge.

Congrats Fred, you have a feather pattern! Looks good, and I admire a "young man' who can do that much hammering by hand.

Ed you just turned on a light. Not being able to split a billet more then 3 to 4" is because the standard chisel hardies are that tall. If I wanted to make one say 6"+ what would I make it out of. Would a 41xx tool steel be a good choice? Could you please show us an example of a feather pattern from a W pattern.

Last edited:
Back