Favorite jigs and fixtures

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
Hi all,
During a discussion of the bubble jig, the question of jigs and fixtures came up. AS usual, I drew short straw and this thread is the result. Please post your most helpful jigs, fixtures and guides; both store bought and home made.
I have several grinding fixtures, the simplest being a piece of oak with an 80degree bevel and a piece of 1 1/2" angle iron with holes to mount your blade to. set the angle iron on the oak, draw back and forth, and I get a pretty even 10 degree bevel on both sides of the blade. for a file guide, i use two flat chain links with shoulder bolts and 1/8" rubber to protect the blade. will post pictures later today.
for my table saw, i have a selection of key stock about a foot long that I place between the ripping fence and the blade. makes it easier when ripping stock to 3/8" or so for handles.

Last edited:
Here's a fixture I made up to punch evenly spaced holes in holster belts. Fits any size 2" and down.

fourinshoo+024.jpg

This is an easy way to hold the pad on your etching machine wand. You can get these large O rings at the hardware.

DSC01156.JPG

DSC01157.JPG

This is my cure for tool arm placement close to the grinder. Just a couple of pieces of 3 inch square stock welded to angle iron. There set at about a 40 degree angle.

DSC00780.JPG

Heres a cheap way to lower the temperature of your quench oil. Its made of a small insulated cooler; I just ran a copper coil in the center and foamed it in place. I have a small circulating pump that transfers the oil through the system.
DSC01461.JPG

Fred,

How do you snuff out flames?
I quench coming from an electric kill to the oil using cold tongs; I always fully harden are then stress relieve the areas needed followed by the tempering cycles. No chance of flame that way.
I used to have the problem when using a gas forge to heat and using welded handles that got heated. We learn as we go.

Back