favorite grinding belt

clancy

I stopped by Bader Co to pick up a few belts, Doug asked me to try out the 3M Cubitron II belts. They are supposed to be better than the original Cubitron belts. Wow .... I won't be buying those orange belts any more. I am really impressed with the cutting speed and how cool the belt runs.

Anyone else use them? How come I never heard of them before?

ernie

I use the 3M 967s for heavy work. They out cut anything else I have tried for straight hogging. Once they do go dull on bevels I use them for profile grinding, they get a little of the old bite back and will profile blades for quite a while.

I just tried one on a whim in 36 grit and have been very pleased. I also found there are things that shouldn't be "fist bumped" no matter how pleased you are :biggrin:.

Yes, they will clean your knuckles down to the bone in an instant. It is enough to make me wear gloves!

Flesh Vs any grinding belt is a losing Proposition every time!
Gloves are Good!
Also I learned to put on the individual Leather Thumb & Finger protectors before I put the gloves on!
More protection, and after the leather wears away on the thumb pad of the gloves you can still use them.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Didn't really occur to me that I had ordered one of the 80 grit 984F belts recently from Tracy. Not even sure why, I think I meant to order something else, so it may have been a mistake but if so it was a happy one:)
I tried it today for the first time to re-surface the platen for one of my grinders. The platen is 12" long and made of hardened 1075. Usually trying to grind this large a surface on hardened material is a long and unpleasant process, especially since I had to use the other grinder which has less speed and power. The Cubitron II seems to live up to the performace claims, at least when new. Extremely rapid and clean removal, consistent finish, and much less heat than the 967's, or any other ceramic belt I have tried, for that matter. Still felt new when I took it off the grinder and hung it back up a few short minutes later. I think I have a crush on this new belt...

I started using them a little while back. I doubt I would use anything else. They really take on steel and eat it alive.

After reading about these "new" belts. I picked up a few to test out. I snagged up some 60g for myself and some 36G for my surface grinder/belt conversion. and will be testing them starting next week. Im hopeful that these are everything you guys have said and more!!!!

I have been using Blaze belts as my main belts and the occasional 3M 967 belt thrown in to the mix when they were out of the Blaze! Both are very good belts and I all but forgot how frustrating using some of the "other" belts that will remain nameless. That I used when I first started grinding with a 2 X 72 grinder.. lol

Ill post my impressions after I have tested them thoroughly.

Last edited:
Back