Experiment gone Right (?)

Rudy Joly

I tried new things on this one and it seems to have worked out OK. Good reviews from people who've seen it. The pics are the best 2 out of over 50.....it is what it is.

1075 Clayed / Etched and then polished. Definitely a different look.
7-1/2" total / 3-1/2" blade still need sharpening.
Faron Moore stabilized leather scales./ red liners.
Dovetailed 416 bolsters and pins.
The leather worked OK after some rough spots and reminds me of a worn leather saddle or an old book cover in a library. I'll be doing more with it in the future. Yes...No ?

Rudy

Looks aged rite out of the chute Rudy! nice patina. You did real good.Real interested in those scales for future work. Sincerly, Ron.

The magic will be in the touch & feel.
Leather always takes us to the past with its touch and smell.
Great looking little carry knife.

I say Yes.

I plan to do a stacked leather handle and have been considering stabilizing it but what you've done is a whole new ball game.

Thanks for the favorable comments everyone.
My brother said the blade looks like a "bad chrome job" but it works with the overall knife.

Mark,
Definitely stabilize the stacked leather, it makes it much easier to shape than raw leather. I do more with leather handles than any other material and kicked myself for waiting until 2 years ago to stabilize mine. The leather doesn't lose that warm feel or feel plastic either. It also seems that the epoxy holds better after trying to peel some apart.

Thanks,
Rudy

Well Rudy,I have to say that is one of the best aged new knives I've seen Bro. I also like the looks of the leather,old school for sure:cool:

Also like the scales on that one. I also have small leather piece I would love to make scales with. I have only used min wax wood hardener to stabilize a set of wood scales. Can you share any details on stabilizing the leather? Are there multiple layers on each scale?

Also like the scales on that one. I also have small leather piece I would love to make scales with. I have only used min wax wood hardener to stabilize a set of wood scales. Can you share any details on stabilizing the leather? Are there multiple layers on each scale?

Eddie,
They're one peice scales on each side, I had Faron Moore stabize them.
These peices I have are waxed leather which I didn't know. If you have some stabilized, talk to who ever is doing it because it may screw up the process. It worked this time but I almost threw them out because wax was melting out of them when I ground the pins. Stabilizing stiffened them up so they weren't all bendy. I beleive these were 'sole bends' which are pretty thick. Poke around this site, it's where I get my leather for my handles. http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/scrap/scraps.htm They may not have everything all the time but I check often.

.photobucket.com/user/RUJOCO/media/RUJOCO%20KNIVES/2013_1225thickleather0024_zps0dbeab8d.jpg.html]
2013_1225thickleather0024_zps0dbeab8d.jpg
[/URL]

Rudy

Thanks. My leather work has been limited to 2 sheaths so far. I bought a scrap bag from http://springfieldleather.com/ just to start with and there are some piece too thick to use for sheaths, I think might work as scales. I was also wondering if the thin stuff could be layered. I have seen stacked leather sheaths made of small discs, so why not a layered scale. Thanks for the reply and link, I'll check it out.

Back