Evenheat oven set up problem

Good thought Brad, but I measured the blade temp with an infrared thermometer after it had been at the plateau temp for 30 minutes. I used a 4 segment program for my test. I did use the fastest ramp setting (9999). Between each plateau temp I held for 30 min then ramped to the next.

So you are saying the oven ramped up and the temp display indicated the proper temp (say 950 degrees), then sat at that 950 for half an hour undisturbed (no peeking), and at the end of the half hour your blade was not at 950? If thats the case, either your infared temp gun is off, your thermocouple is defective, or the calibration software for the thermocouple in the controller is wrong. After half an hour at a steady temp, the oven and contents should pretty much be at equillibrium.

Go to the welding supply store and get a tempil-stik for 1500 degrees. It is like a temperature sensitive crayon. Mark a line on a piece of steel and set it in the oven. Ramp the oven in one segment from room temp to 1500 and let it soak for 1/2 hour. The line should leave a liquid smear on the steel if the oven got up to temp. The advantage of buying a tempilstick over the firing cone is that you get lots of uses from it for relatively little cost and can verify numerous blades get to temp. If that test doesnt work, I would be on the phone to Evenheat again to see what they are going to do to remedy the situation.

Last edited:
So you are saying the oven ramped up and the temp display indicated the proper temp (say 950 degrees), then sat at that 950 for half an hour undisturbed (no peeking), and at the end of the half hour your blade was not at 950? If thats the case, either your infared temp gun is off, your thermocouple is defective, or the calibration software for the thermocouple in the controller is wrong. After half an hour at a steady temp, the oven and contents should pretty much be at equillibrium.

Go to the welding supply store and get a tempil-stik for 1500 degrees. It is like a temperature sensitive crayon. Mark a line on a piece of steel and set it in the oven. Ramp the oven in one segment from room temp to 1500 and let it soak for 1/2 hour. The line should leave a liquid smear on the steel if the oven got up to temp. The advantage of buying a tempilstick over the firing cone is that you get lots of uses from it for relatively little cost and can verify numerous blades get to temp. If that test doesnt work, I would be on the phone to Evenheat again to see what they are going to do to remedy the situation.

That is what I am saying. The display said 950 for 1/2 hour before I checked it. The blade measured somewhere around 800, as well as the bottom of the oven. The thermocouple at the top of the oven measured 950, because of this I have reason to believe the thermometer is in the ball park as well as the thermocouple. The other thing is that after I let the blade soak at 950 for another 45 minutes the blade measured close to 950 whith the infrared measure. I think the oven itself needed to soak up more heat before it could equalize. That is my latest hypothesis that I will be testing. I like the temp stick idea I will definatly us on for my next tests. Thank you Brad, and everyone else, for your brain work on this one. It really helps to bring out issues that I may not have thought of.

Frank I haven't yet. I will do some tests in the comming days. I will be sure to post my findings. Sorry for not getting on it sooner but I am trying to finish the last two knives before I tear down my shop and move it to a new place.

How is your new oven treating you? D

Last edited:
I have been super busy as well. I got everything ready I just need to make a pigtail to match my 22 outlet and I will begin testing on some 1084.

I have the Even Heat 22.5 with Setpro controller. I'm with Ed on this issue. I had problems with steels such as ATS-34 when the blades where sitting on the floor of the oven. With the recommended heat treat recipes the hardness numbers just did not quite match up. I noticed the problem even more when I started trying to do spring tempering for slipjoint folders. I moved my steel onto a shelf that sits about in the middle of the oven and now my hardness numbers match those listed on the charts from the manufacturers. I can also get more uniform results on my springs. I think others are probably correct about letting the oven sit at temperature for a much longer period of time. As I type this reply my feet are getting cold down on the floor under my desk!

Back