Etching Problem

Duncan Tipton

Hi KnifeDogs,

I am having a problem etching my mark. I have the personalizer etcher it only has etch (DC) and Mark (AC) modes. When I use etch mode to get a bit of depth to my etch, and then switch it to mark mode, the black oxides tend to wash out of the etch. If I use mark mode only I get a beautiful etch and the oxides seen to be fixed pretty well, but I am worried about the etch wearing away because it is so shallow. Do you folks have any advice?

Thanks for your time and knowlege, Duncan TIpton

duncan alot of the time poor etches are a result of poor stencils. Get Ernie grospich to make you a batch for 30 bucks plus shipping you will never look back . My first stencil is still just that and ive marked 75 knives now. Crisp clean and very detailed stencil marks. The solution your using may be a little off as well . I do three short blasts in 7 to 8 second intervals they come out dark and deep. kellyw
HPIM1970.jpg

Last edited:
If you etch pad is to wet it will wash out the black so it is not as dark.

I dont know what you are using for a pad and solution.

I use a q-tip and salt water to do mine.

If you have not tried already, wet the pad and then pat on a paper towel so it is damp. hold down for a few seconds then lift up repeat a few time then turn to ac. do the same. That should give you a good deep dark etch.

Back