Etching logo onto Damascus ..HOW?

backtines

Hey guys ,

I recently started to use an etching machine again . I still use my press in some cases too.

My machine is a "Personalizer Plus " my stencils are from Ernie Grospitch.. The stencils to not have any border around them it's just my name as you've seen before.

My question is .. What is your procedure to etch your makers mark onto a Damascus blade ?

Do I etch the mark real deep then proceed with etching the blade ? Or do I etch the mark the cut a piece of scotch tape and put it over the mark ? Or use nail polish ?

Can you give me your thoughts and maybe a few pics ? That would be awesome.

Thank you.

Mikey.
I etch the logo first then cover with nail polish (use a bright color, red or pink or whatever you use on your toes) then etch your blade and clean the blade off with acetone or thinner.

Steve

I have etched then covered with nail polish and am never really that happy with how it turns out. My Rhino logo is a bit on the complicated side.
So when I do make a carbon steel damamscus blade. I make a stencil with blue print paper on my old mechanical typewriter and put it on the spine in the handle area. I just type out.

rhinoknives.com serial #

I think it really shows the beauty of the Damascus that way.

Mikey.
I etch the logo first then cover with nail polish (use a bright color, red or pink or whatever you use on your toes) then etch your blade and clean the blade off with acetone or thinner.

Steve

Hey Steve if I first etch logo then paint over etched logo with nail polish ,then etch blade.. Won't the edges of outside of nail polish show jagged ? Or after I etch blade , do I then remove nail polish and the etch blade again so the area that was covered with NP doesn't look show shinny maybe ?

Mike,
I etch deep and fill the logo with multiple coats of white-out. Just slather it on, push it in and let dry then drag a plastic card with a nice crisp edge over it. Didn't work with nail polish. This removes the white-out on the surface but leaves it in the logo. Dip for a couple minutes at a time and wipe between dunks. You can always fix the white-out if need be. I wouldn't do one long soak, the etchant does eat under the resist. Most times I'll run a damp piece of rag (t-shirt) with etchant from tang to tip till I get the look I want, but I'm not trying to etch through to the other side either. Use rubber gloves for this and change the rag when it starts turning black. Forgot to add that the white-out cleans up with acetone when done.

Rudy

Mike
I etch my logo which is fairly simple, An elongated diamond with a capital G in the middle. Normally I etch the logo before etching the Damascus. I don't coat mine. I like the look of the logo being the same color as the rest of the blade. the oxides will darken your mark when you etch, just be sure to bush it good I use a tooth brush with Windex to neutralize the acid. I guess its a matter of taste. I did see a demo where a guys used stickers. He had small ovals that peel off a sheet and left an outline of the oval in the sticky paper. He placed that around his mark and painted with nail polish for a resist. This gave a nice sharp non etched oval with his mark in the middle. Play around on some scrap and see what turns you on!
Good Luck and God Bless
Mike

Mike
I etch my logo which is fairly simple, An elongated diamond with a capital G in the middle. Normally I etch the logo before etching the Damascus. I don't coat mine. I like the look of the logo being the same color as the rest of the blade. the oxides will darken your mark when you etch, just be sure to bush it good I use a tooth brush with Windex to neutralize the acid. I guess its a matter of taste. I did see a demo where a guys used stickers. He had small ovals that peel off a sheet and left an outline of the oval in the sticky paper. He placed that around his mark and painted with nail polish for a resist. This gave a nice sharp non etched oval with his mark in the middle. Play around on some scrap and see what turns you on!
Good Luck and God Bless
Mike

Thanks for the tip .. Ya know I tried what Rudy suggested. I put some white out in the logo , waited for it to dry ( not completety ) ( mistake ) and sanded over the top of it when I should have used a card to plow over the top ..The sand paper finely scratcher the edges of the white out and gave the FC a spot to get under.. Long short is , It was coming out real nice until I heard a crash in the other room .. My mother in law dropped a pot of gravey on the floor . I went to see the comotion and helped clean up . I forgot about the blade sitting in the FC.. When I got back , i couldnt even see the logo in the blade .. I left it in too long and messed it up ..

Im thinking I may just go back to Staming my logo in damascus blades. Get the logo deep enough , use the white out ( which was working real nice ) making sure the logo is deep , Im hoping that will work out for the better i guess..

Awwww c'mon Mike don't quit.
You were so close, take your time with each step and refine it. You'll learn something new each time you do it and it will become second nature. I think your problem was you were hungry and wanted some gravy.......you probably already had a loaf of bread in your hand.:lol::biggrin:

You already know it was working so don't give up. Don't make me come down there !:49:

Rudy

Back