Epoxy Scales

Gliden07

So I decided to try my hand at Epoxy Scales. Got the HF Paint Pot converted over to be just a pressure pot. Bought some Mica Powder, epoxy and silicone molds! Here are my first 3 sets. Let me know what you think! Working on my first set of hybrids now and bought some Pine cones to try!

Attachments

• IMG_20230219_093006_015.jpg
    IMG_20230219_093006_015.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
Super cool! Yeah I'm real curious on your set up... From what I've seen you need a vacuum chamber for them to cure in but is that not the case?

So I decided to try my hand at Epoxy Scales. Got the HF Paint Pot converted over to be just a pressure pot. Bought some Mica Powder, epoxy and silicone molds! Here are my first 3 sets. Let me know what you think! Working on my first set of hybrids now and bought some Pine cones to try!
If it's not too much trouble, could you give us an overview of how your setup works? Are the molds under pressure or vacuum?
Thanks

Hopefully my posting issues are done?? As a quickie this is what I did. I got a Harbor Freight pressure paint pot and converted it via instructions on YouTube (very easy to do) use the Loc-Tite 545 anaerobic I had leaking issues with Teflon tape leaking. I bought 2 molds from Rockler and some mold release. Epoxy seems the favorite is Alumilite SLOW (this only has a 12min working window) I opted for the brand Teexpert with a 40min window since I didn't know what I was really doing. The trade off is the Alumilite can be demolded in 4-6 hours where the stuff I used takes 24 hours! So I mixed the Epoxy per instructions used Mica Powder for colorants. Sprayed the mold with the anti-stick spray, then popped it in the pressure pot and pressurized it to 50ish psi (HF pot good for only 60 psi) waited the 24 hours and demolded. Multiple colors you have to let the epoxy start to set so the colors don't bleed together (still working on that). I am going to switch to the Alumilite SLOW once I get my process down, so I can ramp up production! If you guys have any specific questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer. Still having issues posting.

Back