End consumer best sharpening solution?

everything's technique I guess....I sharpen most of my production kitchen knives with them and can slice tomatoes thin enough to read through... Musta got a good one I guess...but yes they are hard on an edge...on a $12 knife i don't care too much...I can eventually redo on my knife grinder...

what do you suggest for non-knife people?

...even cheaper at Wal-Mart.

View attachment 78875
i have one that works ok. i use on the cheapo stainless in the kitchen drawer. my good knives see a diamond stone once a year whether they need it or not. if you make a very thin(<0.06" at spine), very hard(Rc62 min) kitchen knife and can convince the owner that the knife is only for protein and veg and fruit, and always use a good cutting board, once a year with a stone should be all that is needed.
scott

i regrind their knives and sell them a diamond loaded strop, and they have to use it at least once a week, when it doesn't work anymore they can bring it back to me. when it gets too expensive or ship it to me, they get told to buy a diamond hone of 1000grit and watch whatever sharpening technique video i like at that moment

I work on a lot of damaged kitchen knives pretty regularly. That is very generous of you Tracey to sharpen the first one at no charge!

The problem with the magic chef is that it will create a hollow in front of the riccaso/heel of the edge which is a problem esp on the larger Chef knives as the full length of the edge will no longer make contact with the cutting board.

What I always suggest is for them to send it in to me to set up the geometry properly (15 dps) then they can maintain on the Spyderco Sharpmaker for a LONG time with a microbevel at 20 dps before the edge needs to be reworked. The sharpmaker is basically the same thing as the round ceramic honing 'steels' - it's just more intuitive/easier to use for most people since they have set angles.

If you're making a recommendation to a customer, I think these are a great cost effective option.
Consistent results, minimal skill and minimal effort.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2021-08-24-15-24-23.png
    Screenshots_2021-08-24-15-24-23.png
    253.9 KB · Views: 17
I recommend you to take a look at Japanese grindstone. it's not an ad, but I was impressed by its diverse categories of grindstone, and I also learned a lot about knife sharpening.

Back