Elmax Stainless 9.5" Chef knife/240mm Gyuto

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Heres one I just finished up.

As always comments and critiques welcomed.

ELMAX is amazing stuff!

240mmgyutoforsalefeatherdamascusswordbillet203800x533.jpg
240mmgyutoforsalefeatherdamascusswordbillet201800x533.jpg
240mmgyutoforsalefeatherdamascusswordbillet181800x533.jpg
240mmgyutoforsalefeatherdamascusswordbillet168800x533.jpg
240mmgyutoforsalefeatherdamascusswordbillet166800x533.jpg

God Bless YA!
Randy

Wow! I love the angle of the bolster mated to the sunburst grain in the wood. Visually, it makes it the whole package look sleek and easy to maneuver. Fantastic!

-- Lee

That's a beautiful blade. I like the simplicity of the blade and the elegance of the handle combined with it. I've been following your posts here and on other forums, and your work, and that of your son is first rate.
Thanks for sharing, and being inspirational.
John
www.gearhartironwerks.com

Hi, Randy,

it is a beautiful knife. I like it very much. Do you mind talking a bit more about making Elmax in kitchen knife? You said it is an amazing stuff. What makes the stuff different than other materials in kitch knives? Thank you.

Jerome

I can gladly talk about this more.

Elmax is a 3rd generation powder steel. And has all the stuff I look for in a stainless steel. Corrosion resistance, toughness, wear resistance, edge retention. machine ability, ease of heat treating, consistency, small grain structures.

First lets look at the steels make up. lets look at the numbers. The first thing I notice is the high Carbon content. Double what would be needed to make a serviceable cutting tool. , Then I check the Chromium numbers. Awesome. Then add some alloying elements that also add toughness, and added carbide forming elements. and it stands to say this stuff should be AWESOME!

Tbl--Elements.gif
Tbl-Elmax.gif
This chart was borrowed from Alpha Knife supply. Thanks guys!

Now what this shows is that this stuff has everything you would need to make a functional blade. but has it in some cases at least double. and even triple or more of what would make a good blade steel.

Next I personally have found the stuff to be tough as nails. Without blowing it up into something more then it really is. The steel is TOUGH. and has great edge retention. wear resistance. grinds well. heat treats without to many issues and the grain structure is small enough to make the ultra fine edges that are associated with a kitchen knife. So it can be ground thin and it will take a crazy sharp steep edge bevels. And a higher RC level after cryo. and temper then what they say it will get.

In closing.. Is this stuff BETTER then some of the other 3rd or 2nd gen powder steels????? CPM S30V, S35VN, CTS-XHP etc.. I cant say for sure. Because I have not done proper testing of each to have a opinion. I have tested the Elmax over the last year on many blade shapes, and styles. and it has Excelled as a chef knife. as well as a EDC or a hunting knife. Next the price and availability, stock sixes and thickness, etc make it my first choice.

I hate to say this, but have to... Your results may vary, and this is only one mans opinion. I hope to help by sharing my experience..

God Bless
Randy

Last edited:
Randy,

Thank you for spending the time answering my question in detail. I have one small Elmax knife, and I used it as screw driver a couple times in emergency without damaging it.

I do plan to make Elmax kitchen knives. I like thin thin kitchen knives. Thanks so much again, Randy.

Randy,
I look at steel spec sheets the same way you do, First the carbon, then the Chrome count etc. the other kicker here on the Elmax that caught my eye is the Vanadium percentage 3%
The Vanadium seems to be used in many of the powder steels. I use and like CPM-S35VN & CPM-154 on many of my Culinary knives.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very nice kitchen knife. I interested in Elmax and trying to use it in my chef knife project. My problem is a heat treatment. Just I knew Elmax needs a high speed process for heat treating. That means 1100 C.

Could you can let me know what a Rockwell of your blade? that you think its best.

Thank you very much.

Back