Elk Hunter

Looking Good OP! Cant wait to see it finished.
Me to! The fit between the G10 spacers and antlers is going to be tight. I’m trying not to remove any antler or very little. The butt end will be an easier transition.

Your photos are very helpful to this newbie, OP, thank you. Can you tell me a little more about the photo where you're sanding. It looks like a tapered piece of substantial wood you have clamped into your bench vise, which then gives you a freestanding spot to clamp your blade for sanding. Is there a name for something like that? It's sort of a jig, but not exactly. Great looking knife.

Your photos are very helpful to this newbie, OP, thank you. Can you tell me a little more about the photo where you're sanding. It looks like a tapered piece of substantial wood you have clamped into your bench vise, which then gives you a freestanding spot to clamp your blade for sanding. Is there a name for something like that? It's sort of a jig, but not exactly. Great looking knife.
Thank you and I will be happy to help you in any way.
The sanding jig is a piece of 3/4” plywood shaped as in the photo- one end tapered and one end square. A smaller strip screwed to the bottom fits in the vise. I flip it around and use the square end when i’m working on the handle.
Hope this helps.

I made a couple of knives for a fellow that used them on an elk hunt in Colorado. He brought me back an entire set of antlers!! I made him another knife. ;)
that's one great thing about elk antler ... If you get a set, you have a LOT of antler to work with!

Back