EDC for Cousin WIP—- pic of “just about finished”

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
8B6FEAB0-4A21-449B-B7D8-78580FF78884.jpeg got the scales glued on and rough shaped. This one is Nitro-V RC 61 with coco and some kind of wood I got from Demo.... maybe walnut?? Anyway thanks Demo. Oh yeah and I stuck a blue liner in for contrast. Let me know what y’all think.

I didn’t realize how bad this pic was. I’ll put up some better ones.790F8779-8092-4DF3-8090-4A570BEB4061.jpeg

Last edited:
Kevin how did you do the pieces in the handle! Are they pinned internally, of joined with something like a biscuit joint??

The only thing to worry me is the joint between the two sections and the two different kinds of wood, may come and go at a different rate!!

However I am waiting to see this one shaped and sanded out, I have the feeling the contrast of the two woods parallel to one another is going to be very intriguing!!
I don't think I have ever seen one done exactly like. I think you may have a heck of a design there!!

Kevin how did you do the pieces in the handle! Are they pinned internally, of joined with something like a biscuit joint??

The only thing to worry me is the joint between the two sections and the two different kinds of wood, may come and go at a different rate!!

However I am waiting to see this one shaped and sanded out, I have the feeling the contrast of the two woods parallel to one another is going to be very intriguing!!
I don't think I have ever seen one done exactly like. I think you may have a heck of a design there!!
Thanks!! I’m hoping in turns out ok. But...
I’m a little worried about the different types of wood moving also. I don’t have any biscuits or hidden pins... just a heathy coating of acraglass. I also “lock” the pieces in place by sticking them to a liner. I’m sure the whole thing will buckle and bust but I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Kevin as said I don't think I have ever seen one done in such a manner! The contrast between the two woods is very intriguing and I see it opening up a whole new line of handles.

I think in the future I would consider internal pins or something similar to a biscuit between the two. One of my biggest concerns is the thing with all woods, wood comes and goes. That is one reason most folks like to use stabilized wood, it moves very little. However it does move.

I have used it on a handle and everything will be 100% flush. I happened to get my hands on one of my knives I made for a friend a year or so after I made it. It was made during the winter, when we have less humidity around here. I handled the knife during the summer months and when I put my hand on the handle I thought I could feel the handle standing proud of the blade. Looking at it I wasn't real sure. However like a razor edge on a blade, you really sometimes can't see it with the naked eye, but you can catch it with your fingernail. So doing the fingernail trick I could tell the handle had indeed swelled ever so slightly. So knowing wood and the humidity around here I was not entirely surprised!!

Now I asked him had this handle always been doing this?
His response was doing what????
I smiled and told him,..............nevermind! He was a bud I didn't charge him for the knife afterall it was a gift!! :rolleyes:

So lesson learned all wood moves and when buying stabilized wood make sure it is from a reputable source. EBay may not be your friend in this case! Ebay always pops up under a Goggle search saying we really do have everything at EBay. However you may not want it!! LOL

After having said all of that I still do like the world you are opening up with the design of that handle!!

Kevin as said I don't think I have ever seen one done in such a manner! The contrast between the two woods is very intriguing and I see it opening up a whole new line of handles.

I think in the future I would consider internal pins or something similar to a biscuit between the two. One of my biggest concerns is the thing with all woods, wood comes and goes. That is one reason most folks like to use stabilized wood, it moves very little. However it does move.

I have used it on a handle and everything will be 100% flush. I happened to get my hands on one of my knives I made for a friend a year or so after I made it. It was made during the winter, when we have less humidity around here. I handled the knife during the summer months and when I put my hand on the handle I thought I could feel the handle standing proud of the blade. Looking at it I wasn't real sure. However like a razor edge on a blade, you really sometimes can't see it with the naked eye, but you can catch it with your fingernail. So doing the fingernail trick I could tell the handle had indeed swelled ever so slightly. So knowing wood and the humidity around here I was not entirely surprised!!

Now I asked him had this handle always been doing this?
His response was doing what????
I smiled and told him,..............nevermind! He was a bud I didn't charge him for the knife afterall it was a gift!! :rolleyes:

So lesson learned all wood moves and when buying stabilized wood make sure it is from a reputable source. EBay may not be your friend in this case! Ebay always pops up under a Goggle search saying we really do have everything at EBay. However you may not want it!! LOL

After having said all of that I still do like the world you are opening up with the design of that handle!!
Thanks!
There’s a guy on YouTube ... it’s been a long time ago so I can’t remember who... but he made a handle in a similar manner. I definitely see what you mean with stabilized wood... I never really knew the difference. My next purchase I’ll step up to the stab stuff. I really like the idea I have in my head about the direction of these handles ... I just have to gain skills... a ton of em lol

Back