Ed LaBarre maul

Chef Niloc

I just got this maul made by Ed "The Bearman" LaBarre. It has to be one of the finest tools I have ever held.

4f6e780e.png

It's 16 oz. The lightest maul I hade was 18oz, it felt a bit heavy for a lot of the tooling work I do. The 18 oz one I have is also a big maul. It's made by " wood is good" & is almost 2x the size of this one. So I thought this one would be more controllable for work on small sheaths. O & it just looked so nice I had to have it. It's a limited run done for Robert Beard who no longer makes mauls. I have read around that a lot of leather workers think that Beard's mails are the best? I have never seen one of Beards mails but I think Ed & Robert are friends? Think he may have also gotten the poly/ rubber/ what ever the stuff they make maul heads from, from Beard? I see white & green ones all the time but the brown stuff this head is made from seems different?? Not as plasticy??

Nice maul, I'm using a 16 oz Barry King and love it.Dave

Hmmm , that is cool , I understand what its for now......I guess I would have to use one to see the benefits. Right now a use a $3 wood one made in China.
Could someone please explain the benefits of using one of these over the old wooden one.

Back