dyed stage prep.

scott mack

Hi Bruce, how do you clean and prep your dyed stag before you use it, i bought some from Culpepper at the Blade show and forgot to ask them. It is very messy, dye residue gets all over, any problems with glue up.
Thanks! Scott

Last edited:
Hi Bruce, how do you clean and prep your dyed stage before you use it, i bought some from Culpepper at the Blade show and forgot to ask them. It is very messy, dye residue gets all over, any problems with glue up.
Thanks! Scott
Scott,
No problems except it makes your hands amber colored for awhile. Don't worry about anything, just go ahead and fit the stag as usual. All the excess dye just seems to disappear after awhile. I always flat sand the backside of all stag and super glue a fiber liner on. Don't use acetone or laquer thinner as it will remove too much color. I like to sand to about 1500-2000 grit and use a new soft cloth buff.

Dave, Where the heck have you been this time? Haven't heard from ya for months.

:D Sorry Bruce, I do keep my eye out! I had several months off and now slowly getting back into the swing of things. This may not sound like good fortune, but truly - it is: divorce. That did set me off for a while while I gathered my wits, but I'm coming back! :D I haven't been happier in decades, and that's no kidding. Hopefully that'll also inform my making! Heh. We'll see...

Welcome back, divorced or not. Kaye and I just celebrated our 39th anniversary. I honestly don't think I would be alive without her. Its all about happiness and to get that divorce may be needed for some folks. I'm glad she left your tools, she can't be all bad.
:D Sorry Bruce, I do keep my eye out! I had several months off and now slowly getting back into the swing of things. This may not sound like good fortune, but truly - it is: divorce. That did set me off for a while while I gathered my wits, but I'm coming back! :D I haven't been happier in decades, and that's no kidding. Hopefully that'll also inform my making! Heh. We'll see...

Thanks Bruce, I will give it a go.
Scott

Scott, I should have also told you to seal any pith on the backside with super glue before flattening them for the fiber spacer material.
Let me know if you have questions. Show us here how it comes out OK?

Back