Dumbfounded

Well, I couldn't begin to help anyone make a knife, although I have held thousands of examples in my hands over the past few years. What I can do and have done is lend a helping hand by way of instruction as it relates to making sheaths for all those knives. My shop door is always open as is my phone and email. I gladly take whatever time is necessary to answer any and all questions that I am able to answer, which is most. I think Mike Omachearley, among others, will attest to that. I don't charge a penny for shop instruction or phone answers or emails, but having said that I have two, no now three instructional DVDs out there now, and they do cost a modest sum, but most who have bought then seem to think they were worth the price. The main reason I did this little project was to get as much information as possible out to as many people as possible, because there aren't too many youngsters coming up behind me to fill the need when I'm gone, Besides all that, I wasn't born knowing what I know today and there is a very long list of great gentlemen who shared their knowledge with me.

If any of you need any help, or i can answer any questions, my contact information is spread all over the bottom of every post I make.

Paul

Last edited:
"You see" he said. "you arent a knife maker. I am. Anyone can buy fancy machinery and steel stock and slap a chunk of wood on it and call it a knife.

At this point I would have asked him just what exactly it is that I make?

Furthermore, I would think that anybody can buy fancy machinery and steel stock, heat it and beat it, slap a chunk of wood on it, and call IT a knife. If anybody can do one, then anybody can do the other, in my opinion. I think this guy has just been breathing to many fumes from his magical forge. I'd be curious to know if this guy is truly a certified Master Smith, or just self procaimed, and just how and with whom he "learned from the best".

And if there's only 5 or 6 guys in the whole country that make knives like you do (out of how many master and journeyman smiths?) then chances are, you're not doing anything special, if it's even legitimate in the first place.

I have a slight suspicion that had you written him a check for his "2 day course" that his 1 year backlog would have suddenly "found an opening"... hahah

If it were me, I would have gotten a little rude when he proclaimed the he was a knife maker and that you were not. None of us are perfect, and that is the reason we look to others for advice and insight. That is the reason a board like this exists. I know I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for help from others. Sure, I may have been able to figure it out on my own eventually..but I guarantee you what I produced wouldn't be as good as it could be or is.

Yep, sounds like a blow hard to me too. Not too much to say beyond what everyone else has said, except I hope I don't happen to stumble into his shop, since I am in your area. If you get a chance shoot me a PM and let me know where this Master Smith and tamer of unicorns has his shop so I can avoid it.

Since even before I started making knives some 8 years ago, I have been privileged to meet and learn from literally hundreds of knifemakers including some of the true legends of the craft. Out of all of that, I have met exactly one who acted like I was not worthy of being in his presence.

On the other hand, I have learned and gotten advice from the likes of Gil Hibben, Billy Mace Imel, Ronald Best, Warren Osborne, Gayle Bradley, Stan Wilson, Mel Pardue, AT Barr, Blackie Collins the list goes on and on and on. I always come away from a knife show a better knifemaker from what I learn from other knifemakers. I have never had a single one say "it's a secret" when I asked "how did you do that".

Anyone who says he has some secret magic hoodoo that nobody else has figured out and makes a knife better than anyone else is just a snake oil salesman and not worth your time or concern. Don't let it bother you. There are far, far more very good knifemakers who are always willing share their knowledge and help a fellow along.

As others have said, some do offer paid classes and there is nothing wrong with that. But that is for all day or all week instruction. Even most of them will take time to help you without charge. I got started in one of Gil Hibben's week-long classes. It was money very well spent. I learned more in that one week than I would have figured out on my own in years.

Hang in there and do your thing. There are plenty who will generously offer you help and advice.

Hi Eric I think I met the same 2 guys up here in canada . I was talking with a top maker when I first started he was full of himself I this and I that and yes his knives are on the front page of all the magasines but as far as im concerned when you decieve some one telling them youd help and when you call the\m on it they are like NO WAY . The truth of it all comes into play. The other guy I met was your new knife maker friends TWINN brother lmao. The guy was telling me how he teaches classes and his knives are the best made from the best materials . Im like now asking questions this was at show so I had knothing to loose, he was telling me the superior properties of 440c over cpm154 and s30v . He didnt like me too much after I let him know I had been making knives only a year and see the bull he was trying to feed me. Its to bad you never had a knife or 2 to show this guy some people can talk up a good storm but couldnt make a good knife if their life depended on it. Ide have to say your way better off with out advice from a guy like that. Kellyw

So this world expert knife maker has only been full time for 3 months? Sounds fishy to me. A year backlog is easy, just promise one guy you will make a knife then don't make it for a year!

Not a knife? In what way? That's like saying you are more dead if you get shot with a pistol than a revolver. I think you met the king of the mall ninjas. This man doesn't deserve the anonymity you so graciously bequeathed upon him, but it is much better for the forum and community.

This guy didn't sound like he had a leg to stand on.

There are many paths to the same destination-- he is just choosing to take the one that costs more and wants everyone else to pay for it!!!! But seriously-- dont let it bother you at all. Go where you can get the info from those who welcome you with open arms.

This guy has an ego bigger than his hat and probably believes all of his own press clippings and that's a really bad idea. Ignore and forget would be my advice.

Well Shucks!
I'm just one of those "Not a Knife maker" that uses Stock Removal, We have never met or even emailed each other,
But you' re always welcome to come by My Shop & Store if your in Santa Monica Ca, I always enjoy meeting other makers.
Stock Removal or Forgers!
One thing you could have mentioned to him is that after he's done with that magic forge & Anvil of his Making a barstock,
He Grinds it's on some expensive Machinery and then slaps a handle on it!!:biggrin:

Glad to meet you!
Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

One thing you could have mentioned to him is that after he's done with that magic forge & Anvil of his Making a barstock,
He Grinds it's on some expensive Machinery and then slaps a handle on it!!:biggrin:

Shoot... this guy's so good, he probably forges the edge on. And the handles!

When I started out making knives I knew absolutely nothing about it. I started rehandling old knives and then moved up to blanks and putting handles on them. Then I went to stock reduction and have recently began hammer forging. Most people have been wonderful in giving advice and helping me learn except for one. He has told me on several occasions that I am not a knife maker because I do not do it like he does. His way is the only way in his mind. Recently I was asked to donate a knife for a charity auction and when I arrived he was there with his knife for the auction also. At the end my knife sold for double the price of his. That is the best compliment I could get. I'm sure if he could have informed the bidders how much better his knife was he could have gotten more. Just ignore others like him and do what you like and have fun doing it.

Back