Dual Detent Friction Folder

paps

Been wanting to try this for awhile and finally got it done. It's a friction folder with dual detent springs-one in each half of the titanium frame. The springs are cut out of the interior of the liners so there are no gaps around the perimeter. There's a nice "click" when the blade contacts the stop in both open and closed position and little chance of the blade coming open in your pocket. I'm calling it a "Modern Friction Folder" until I can think up something better. Anyhow, thanks for taking a look and any comments/questions are always welcome. -Phil

Attachments

• 360K0812a.jpg
    360K0812a.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 168
Phil really like that knife,I need to come visit and you can tell me how they work.
Stan

Interesting. I think you may be onto something that friction folders have lacked forever. It would be cool to have a close look inside.

Hey Stan -give me a holler and we'll find a good time to get together...it's long past due.

Bruce and Andrew -I took pictures of the parts as I was building this folder but I messed up and deleted them from my camera before I got them downloaded and the knife is now gone to its new owner. I'll take some more photos on the next one and post them up. Thanks for the encouragement!

It6 certainly has caught my attention , but my imagination hasn't come up with anything. In my opinion, sharing your efforts would be a huge gift to us. Frank

I got another one built and took some more photos. I intend to post up a little tutorial when I have time to put it together. In the mean time, here's a photo of the parts. That's probably all that is needed for you experienced makers to be able to figure it out. I'll be in an out the next few days, but will try to answer any questions as quickly as I can. Thanks! -Phil
DSCF0004.jpg

i seen on on ebay last month that the maker called "double dent" folder. he used ivory for the scales. said that it was light as a feather. no thumb stud, so it looked like a "slippie". said that he had been making them of a while..............jake

I thought I had an original idea until after I made the first one. I did a google search and found a few examples...so no original idea. I have a small batch of blades that I heat treated the other day...some have nail nicks and will look like slipjoints and some with studs.

I have been making knives with a similar mechanism since 2006. I got the idea from Jason Williams, one of the co-inventors of the Axis lock in 1997 or 98.

I have been thinking on how to improve the design. I wonder if this mechanism could be used to make a UK legal flipper?

Great knife and great idea on the double detent. I have been starting at a brass handled FF I made since last month and wondering if I could have done something similar, but never thought about 2 detents that align.

You have a ball detent to keep it closed, but nothing to keep it from being bumped and closing on it's own. The stop pin stops the blade in open or closed position and only the ball detent for safe in open position.

Back