Drop Point Hunter

With that standard as a benchmark, a real grinder is going to add crispness to your finished knives.
I am ready to experience that! My wife has gone back to work now so we have a little breathing room financially lol. My problem is, however, that I can’t put the grinder in my living room... I already asked and it was QUICKLY vetoed lol. The good news is that I’m getting a shop!!! I just need to find a trustworthy contractor. In the country, where I’m from, we build our own shops, but now that I’m in the city, I’ve learned that it’s not as easy. Ohhhh I miss the country.

Put that grinder on a good stand, paint it, and make a rain cover for it. It will work just fine on the back porch. It will be too heavy for anyone to take it without two friends and a truck, anyway.

Great design, btw! I am with Von Gruff on this- a pro grinder will take this design and elevate it instantly by allowing you to get crisp lines. It will make your life so much simpler by giving you the finish you are after much more easily.

Shaping the handle for a hidden tang is not that big a deal. Just try it. My advice is to drill your tang hole when you still have a square block. This makes it much easier to hold in your drill press vise. Also, your clearances when you shape the handle depend on knowing exactly where that tang hole is.

Nick Wheeler has fantastic videos showing his process on YouTube.

Back