Drill press recommendations?

jylong_away

Hi All,

I'm looking to finally get a benchtop drill press to drill my titanium and steel, and was wondering what kind of specs people would recommend, from a Horsepower/wattage point of view, as well as RPMs? There's a 550W industrial model going for a good price nearby me, but the darn thing is over 120lbs! The next option would be a 450W model.

Any suggestions/advice?

If this 120 pounder is a older one that doesn't have Run out? "Wobble in the spindle" Go for it!
The weight works in your favor, And older American presses are usually better.
Of the new stuff, Try to get Taiwanese. Not Chinese.
The next one I think I will buy in a year or so is the JET 20" 1 1/2 HP floor model. About a $1000.00

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I must admit, I'm not sure about the spindle wobble, though the more I read about it online,the more worried I become! the unit in question is new, and from an Australian company. Not sure about manufacturing origin, but have asked them. Nowhere near the price of that JET model though! Must do more research!

Here is what I purchased a few years back!
Not a perfect machine, But it works fine for 90% of my drilling! Like 3/16" Diameter holes or 21/64th Relief holes in 1/8" Thick CPM-S35VN for Handle pins, holes.

"Shop Fox W1668 3/4 HP 13-Inch Bench-Top Drill Press
Buy new: $349.99" This is one Amazon.com

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

5 new from $320.00

Laurence,

Yep, that looks similar to the one I'm looking to get. Does that one have an induction motor? Does it run quiet?

Boatbuilder,
what kind of mini mill did you get? I had a HF mini and it was awful, well, as awful as the operater! I still see the need to have one, but so unsure what to buy, that is reasonably priced, yet still strong enough to get the job done! Thanks, REX

Laurence,

Yep, that looks similar to the one I'm looking to get. Does that one have an induction motor? Does it run quiet?

Fairly quiet! To some extent you always get what you pay for.
I once purchased a "Skil" brand "Chinese made POS" reconditioned drill press for about $90.00 If this was reconditioned? I would have hated to see what condition it was in new! The Run out was so bad! I sent it back!

the shop Fox machine is alright considering that it's maybe one step over an entry level machine.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Boatbuilder,
what kind of mini mill did you get? I had a HF mini and it was awful, well, as awful as the operater! I still see the need to have one, but so unsure what to buy, that is reasonably priced, yet still strong enough to get the job done! Thanks, REX
KC-20vs.
I really like it so far. I think it ways in the 400lb range
Jim

+1 on the mill call.

I got a Rigid 15" floor model drill press when I was a newbie. It's a great drill press and I've been happy with it.

Since I picked up an old HF Mill/Drill I rarely use the Rigid. Got the Mill used for $400 from Craigslist and paid $450 for the Rigid drill press brand new.

I'm not touting the HF mill/drill as a fantastic mill in any way but it's a FAR more precise machinist than I am and it allows me to do ALOT of things I couldn't do with the drill press.

In retrospect I would've been much smarter to go with a cheaper used benchtop drill press and got a nicer mill. That's my .02

-Josh

Back