drill bits ??

69*camaro

I have started using bolsters and would like to drill my pin holes after I heat treat and have the bolster installed. The HSS bits don't cut it. I have my drill press at it's slowest speed and use cutting oil.

Suggestions??

You will probably have to either go to carbide bits, or draw back the hardness in your tangs. Drilling fully hardened steel is beyond the capabilities of a standard drill bit. I have heard some guys say that the spade-point masonry bits work for hardened steel if you sharpen the edges. You can buy solid carbide bits from Tracy that will do the job also but they are somewhat more fragile/brittle than regular bits so you have to be careful with them.

I know that you said that you would like to drill the holes after you had heat-treated the blade, but my advice (for next time) is that you drill the holes prior to HT. After HT, you'll likely end up having to use carbide bits and cutting oil. I just use the Kobalt cutting oil from Lowes. I have also heard of some folks using masonry bits to drill through hardened steel, but have no experience myself.

Best solution, as mentioned above, is to drill - and chamfer - holes before HT. Good luck.

Erin

Edit: Ha, Justin just beat me to it.

To paraphrase Ed on a prior thread: I like the tangs of my knives not hardened for toughness. So after hardening I draw the temper back on the tangs.

The most common method is to immerse the edge or the entire blade in water and use a torch to heat the areas you want to draw back. I would draw it to a blue color, then sand it off so you can watch the color form again and repeat 2 more times.

Wrap a wet towel around the blade, leaving the tang exposed and heat with a torch. This is the way that I reforge hammers with the wooden handle in. Just keep the towel wet. It will get dry if you don't squirt water on it along during the process.

carbide works. I end up using my minimill for carbide jobs, only way I can keep from breaking the bits.

Back