Dragon (rhu) menuki

bubba-san

After a lot of work having the molds made in New York and then shipping molds and metal to Doug Sotherland in Illinois . Here is the finished product . I smelted the shibu alloy which consists of 70% copper approx 28% fine silver and 2-3% fine gold . Doug did a super job on casting work and I did the cleanup and polish work
They turned out real nice . After a while they will patinate to a purple / brown with silver highlights .

There are two different ones male and female . The male has a small sword in his hand . These are copies of a 15th century pair from my collection

If any of you makers need something special including jewelry Doug is the man . He is also a great engraver .
Hope you like them . Shibuichi is an alloy that was invented in south america in the 13th century and adapted by the Japanese for their sword fittings and hardware furniture. Traditionally in the samurai culture and even today the metal is valued more than gold itself .Its very hard to get the metal composition right. Let me know what you think ... Thanks Bubba and Doug

Attachments

• shibuichi menuki 003.jpg
    shibuichi menuki 003.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 12
  • shibuichi menuki 004.jpg
    shibuichi menuki 004.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 12
  • shibuichi menuki 005.jpg
    shibuichi menuki 005.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 13
  • shibuichi menuki 006.jpg
    shibuichi menuki 006.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 12
  • shibuichi menuki 013.jpg
    shibuichi menuki 013.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 14
  • shibuichi menuki 016.jpg
    shibuichi menuki 016.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 12
  • shibuichi menuki 017.jpg
    shibuichi menuki 017.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Bubba, They are just too cool!!! :) and I agree Doug is a great guy to deal with. and a good friend! His engraving aint half bad either! lol :) JK.

Those look great Bubba. So, when are you going to dive into making some shakudo?

Already made a set of fuchi Kashira from shakudo , It goes on the Tamahagane nagamaki I am polishing . Its in the pine needle motif . Thanks for the comments..... Bubba

Attachments

• shakudo kashira fuchi 001.jpg
    shakudo kashira fuchi 001.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 4
  • shakudo kashira fuchi 002.jpg
    shakudo kashira fuchi 002.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 6
  • shakudo kashira fuchi 003.jpg
    shakudo kashira fuchi 003.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 7
  • shakudo kashira fuchi 004.jpg
    shakudo kashira fuchi 004.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 4
  • shakudo kashira fuchi 005.JPG
    shakudo kashira fuchi 005.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 5
Very nice! I love shakudo. I'll have to dig out my old shakudo wakizashi tsuba and send you a pic of it. Some day I'll find a blade to mount it on.

I have a tsuba in the works , cast from an original . When I am finished Will post a few pics .I just made a 3 oz shakudo plate . going to make something from that . My 2 favorite japanese alloys are shakudo and shibuichi . I also like good copper .

How is that CPM 3V sword coming along . I just bought a big piece of it . making a daisho set . Lot of work . Something like a scapizashi style or a busse.

Last edited:
Back