don't know what to do - D2

lerman

hello,
I'v been looking for over a month for some D2 steel, local suppliers here in israel only sell a minimum of about fifty meters :O and for some ridiculous prices,
i'v been working with O1 for a few years and i want to upgrade to a steel that is more rust resistant, the main reason i chose D2 is because it's the only steel that i can sand for heat treating here, and it's a very good steel of course.

i'v been thinking about buying some from jantz supply, but with shipping and taxes it won't be cheap but at least i don't have to buy fifty meters this way, if i will order from them i'll probably add a few more things to the order.

so, any idea regarding the D2 would be very appreciated,

and i would like your opinion on jantz supply also.

thanks in advance,
Lee Lerman

D2 is an awesome steel. Rust resistant yes, but holds an edge extremely well, and is extremely tough, one of the best blade steels around. Although it is a little tougher to grind it is well worth it.
Jantz has always been good to deal with, but you might find better prices and selection with Aldo at NJ Steel Barron. I don't know if he ships international, but he is really great to work with.

Check with Niagara Specialty Metals.
www.nsm-ny.com/ They process and sell CPM-D2 That's a powder metal tool steel that is fantastic to work with and is made as a Cutlery steel . They will sell as small as a 3 ft/1Meter length. Not sure about the international, I fairly sure they do.
This is a little more expensive that regular D2 But worth it and if you are going to eat it on some shipping you might as well get the best!

Let us know?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Jantz is definitely an option, once you're paying for international shipping on much steel at all you might as well fill up the box, you're paying for it anyway. I have bought from them on a number of occasions with no issues.

Also, Jantz is a great outfit.
They also have a bit cleaner cut liner pieces, Less waste, Also the Loveless Type bolts I will always get from them from now on after a few of the supply houses sending me poorly machined and unmatched count of Nuts to bolts.

www.usaknifemaker.com is our own here and they might be able to help?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Jantz is definitely an option, once you're paying for international shipping on much steel at all you might as well fill up the box, you're paying for it anyway. I have bought from them on a number of occasions with no issues.

i wish that was the case, if the total package cost including shipping is more then 300% i'll have to pay around 15% tax on top of the 16% i already have to pay :(.

Check with Niagara Specialty Metals.
www.nsm-ny.com/ They process and sell CPM-D2 That's a powder metal tool steel that is fantastic to work with and is made as a Cutlery steel . They will sell as small as a 3 ft/1Meter length. Not sure about the international, I fairly sure they do.
This is a little more expensive that regular D2 But worth it and if you are going to eat it on some shipping you might as well get the best!

Let us know?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

do you know if CPM D2 requires the same HT as D2?
the guys i send my blades to for HT don't work with every kind of steel.
otherwise it sounds good.
i'v seen usaknifemaker offer CPM D2 as well.

thank you guys for your help, i'll check my new options and i'll let you know how it goes.

Lee Lerman

The owner's, Man & Wife of USA knifemaker is the same as this knifedogs site.
Tracy, Or bossdog as he is know on the forums runs a very tight ship in the Knife supply biz and I get a fair amount of my knife making supplies from them

The CPM-D2 will benefit from Cryogenic treatment etc... But the basic treatment is the same. You get a very fine homogeneous mix in those Powdered steels that has a very fine grain structure.

I just finished up a 4 1/2" Mezzaluna Knife that I used CPM-D2 on. Talk about a Wicked EDGE!

I had a pile of onion Leeks to cut up for a Potato & leek soup I'm making today and that steel makes a great edge for Culinary knives.
Listening to the edge cut through that fibrous vegetation is music to my ears!:chef:

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

sounds tempting :biggrin:

i'll have to ask the HT guys here is they can do a cryogenic treatment.
but all in all it souds like a good choice of steel, i really hope they will be able to ship it here for a reasonable price.

Just want to add some praise for CPM D2... it is one of my favorite steels to work with at the moment. In fact, I'm trying to finish up a few knives in the little remaining 440c I have left so I can sell them and buy more CPM D2!

I dont understand why you dont just start using stainless?? When I started making knives the question I asked is what is a top end stainless that wont empty my wallet but is well worth the price and CPM 154 was the most common reply I recieved. I have used it mostly for all the knives ive made and never recieve complaints from my buyers. My neighbour is a farm boy and plays hard and uses his stuff as hard as anyone ive ever seen. I gave him a knife a few years ago because of all the things he was doing for me and I asked him after hunting season how the knife worked . His reply was I want another one and dont care how much just make sure its the same steel . He told me he field dressed a moose,a cow elk and 2 pigs and a deer and he said then it was ready for me to resharpen it for him . He said the pigs were the torture test and I believe him. I have only got as far as 1 moose and 2 deer before resharpening but I completely skinned the cow moose and the hide is tuff. I have sharpened some d2 knives and in my opinion they sharpen up very simular to 440c . I think to up grade to the stainless is the right way to go because cpmd2 is pretty much the same price as cpm154 shipping would be the same from anyone . Just my thoughts kellyw

Back