Dog head hammer

C Craft

Not sure where to put this! I guess it could be "Knife Maker Shop Talk" as I am looking for discussion in this area!!

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of these dog head hammers???

It talks about breaking the edges and rounding the faces. It is supposed to be 1045 steel. So I went looking and pulled this off of the net!

The tensile strength of normalized 1045 steel is 540 MPa. Yield strength measured in MPa is 410. Elongation, based on 2 inches, is 22. Normalized 1045 steel measures 54 on the Izod Impact test. The Izod Impact test measures a material's resistance to impact using a swinging pendulum. It is also known as the notched Izod Impact test as the material the pendulum hits and ultimately fractures is notched. The specimens are notched to prevent deformities of it upon impact. The hardness of normalized steel, according to the Brinell Hardness scale, is 187.

I am not sure how to do the conversion from Brinell to Rockwell!

So what I am trying to ask do you have knowledge of one of these heads and is it worth the money!!

Wow, not one comment!

Nobody has tried one???

I know 1045 is doable, for a hammer, I just have reservation's about eBay !!

All I can say is that it looks right. Yes, Ebay can be a bit of a craps shoot at times but I've had good luck there more than I have been burned. I think that I even ran into C S Tongs there and it's a good outfit.

Doug

I was actually about to buy that exact blank the other day. I have always wanted a doghead hammer. One of us should go first cliff...

Chris you go ahead my ole truck did not sound good yesterday when I cranked and with my luck it is about to blow like a bomb!
thRTBCILEH.jpg So I got to reserve the money till, I figure out WTH is going on with it. 1995 Chevy Blazer and lately it is turning into a money pit!! I can't understand it, she only 158,000 on it. Barely broke in good!! :p

Will do Cliff. The only thing I could not tell from the pictures is if it cants downward a little like a traditional Japanese (doghead) hammer. But the rest looks good to me.

Will do Cliff. The only thing I could not tell from the pictures is if it cants downward a little like a traditional Japanese (doghead) hammer. But the rest looks good to me.
When you do the handle you can orientate it to suit your own preferences for use.

When you do the handle you can orientate it to suit your own preferences for use.
I thought about that but I was unsure if the wedge would still lock the head properly. But on second thought I guess “bending the handle” for a straight handle hole would work too.

Chris, take a look at this! BS hammers.jpgAll you need is the dry and right shaped branch of wood to start with I suppose!
Hey, I was serious after you try the hammer let me know what you think!!

My wife bought me the handled version of this for Christmas. She creeped me on a FB blacksmithing group and asked another member, and he recommended this.

It does indeed need cleaned up. Which makes it like every other hammer I have. But it seems to be as hard as a hammer needs to be with no remarkable issues.

I use it for most forging. The only time I use a different hammer is for drawing something a whole bunch with the rounding hammer when I need a ball pein for something.

I really prefer the dogs head pattern now. It's just a more natural relationship between handle and work for me.

I used it just today for this.2F2F39D8-5393-44D4-BECB-9BD87C8700EA.jpeg20952F68-14F1-4FAC-9712-E7DBE7C42886.jpeg

Finally found a pic of the hammer. You may not be able to tell, but the handle is kind of tombstone shaped, with a flat on the front and fairly flat sides, and is quite trim. It indexes pretty well.

Attachments

• 932B2F50-47F5-4E33-B8D5-F126DCF1AD94.jpeg
    932B2F50-47F5-4E33-B8D5-F126DCF1AD94.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Finally found a pic of the hammer. You may not be able to tell, but the handle is kind of tombstone shaped, with a flat on the front and fairly flat sides, and is quite trim. It indexes pretty well.
Thanks for posting this, I will have to hurry up and get one I have been itching to forge out a kukri and that will help draw the belly out.

Back