disk grinder attachment

KenH

Hello - again I'm making my own tools where I can. Today I made a disk grinder attachment for the 2X72" grinder so I'd have a variable speed on the disk grinder. I did have the discs mounted on a 1725 RPM motor, but many times that was too fast for what I wanted. I got the idea off another forum for mounting the disk as shown below:
IMG_1413.jpg

I use the 2" belt to drive the shaft, and even touch up a bit if needed. The "pulley" is a 4" diameter aluminum wheel. The aluminum disc has ceramic magnets embedded to hold the steel disc in front with the sandpaper glued on. This allows fast changing of grits of sand paper.

Just finished it this afternoon and I do think it's going to do what I want. I've still got to build a tool rest for the disc.... I "think" I need a tool rest anyway. We'll see how it goes.

Ken H>

NO!!!! I do NOT "need" to sell these - that gets too much like work {grinning}. Not a whole lot to making them, just order the flange bearings and bolt to a 1-1/2" sq arm and drill a 3/4" hole for the shaft. You could order a pre-made 4" drivel wheel, the disc plates with 5/8" and just bolt it all together. I made my disc plates and 4" drive wheel, but just because I'm a cheapskate.

Thanks for the info Calvin - I was thinking I'd need the toolrest. Looking last night how to attach.

Ken H>

that might be the cleanest version of a disc kit I've seen.
nice job.
t

Thanks Boss - it's a VERY easy kit to put together. By far the biggest amount of work went into making the aluminum disc, insetting magnets, and making the steel disc. If a person purchased those, the kit would be really easy. It works good, either vertical, or with grinder flipped over to horizontal.

Ken H>

I believe it's a real cooool tool !!! And remember I'm a huge fan of Rod Nielsen's disc grinder. You have it all there with the magnetic hub and magnets as Rob uses and the variable speed control I believe is necessary. I hope people will realize making one for yourself or helping a friend make one is okay but making for sale might cause some legal problems.
Frank

Ken,
Is your grinder reversible? I have 3 disk grinders and two are reversible,I couldn't do without the reverse function.

All it would need for reverse would be to put a ON-OFF-ON switch where I now only have a OFF-ON switch. When I was using it as only a 2X72" grinder I never really saw the need for reverse, but with the disc I can see it needs to turn the other direction almost half the time. That will be something I need to add as well as the tool rest.

Frank, I had to do a search on "Rod Nielsen's disc grinder" to see what you were talking about - it's the magnets in the disc? Don't worry - don't plan to any type of marketing. I wonder what his discs cost? I looked on his site as well as Wayne Cole's site and both places say "contact for pricing" - I'm sure many folks are like me and think when price is not listed, that means "if you have to ask price, you can't afford the price" and that loses many sales.

Later - got to get that reverse done.

Next time I talk with him I will point that out. He sure enjoys trying to help people.
Did you see that post I did on making a disc up with a layer of stiff foam for handle shaping?
Frank

Nope, I don't remember that thread - Seems like it would take a certain style handle to shape on a disc - a handle with fairly straight sides? I've read where folks have put a pad on the disc for better control, so it's not grinding against solid steel. I can see there, much like trying to grind on a solid metal wheel vs a covered wheel.

For "regular" discs, I use a 1/16 piece of cork under the sandpaper, except for 60 grit where I use nothing. In fact the 3/4" - 1" foam pad make up does a beautiful job on curved handles: both metal bolsters and scales of all types. A member was good enough to post a picture.
Frank

Hello again Ken. Go to "Your input on disk grinders" below
Frank.

Frank, I'm not sure what you mean with the statement above????

I like the sound of the 1/16" cork or rubber gasket type material for padding on the disc - that would provide the tad of cushion needed and still give a nice crisp grind line. With 1" foam, that would surely allow the sanding pad to flow around the curves on the handle - much like the J-Flex belts I use for this purpose. I might have to try that.

Later

I've been wondering about a disc system for a while and I like Rod's and while I've never read a negative thing about it; it is pricey and I have read that guys settle in to one type of disk platen and never really switch. Since I can get 3 phase motors pretty cheap I think I've settled on making two and running them off the same VFD and just get the platens I need.

On topic I like this Ken its looks well built and it was the only mod I liked in that thread you mentioned. No way I would attach a disk to the main shaft of my KMG.

Back