Disc grinders, what do you use them for?

Stang Bladeworks

KNIFE MAKER
I have had an AMK disc grinder for some time now and I have tried using it for a variety of things but I haven't found a great use for it yet. I have tried using it to:

set locks - I found the discs wear out fast and I can only set 1 or 2 before I need to change the disc. If I just use my grinder the 2x72 belt lasts a lot longer.

flattening stock - I thought I could just flatten one side and then use the surface grinder. In practice its no more accurate than just surface grinding both sides. Sometimes I need to swap back and forth to work out a slight bend but its no better on the disc grinder.

Sharpening - Again, it works just not as well as my grinder.

I have very limited shop space so having a tool I don't use isn't ideal. Is there another task I can use this for, am I overlooking something? I am hoping I can get some ideas. I kind of thought I would use it for a lot of things but it hasn't panned out yet. I make mostly framelocks and I do use cnc so using it for chamfers etc. isn't really necessary.

Thanks.

I do a lot of my work CNC also....I have a disc grinder that I have not wired up yet. I only want it for prepping scales for the cnc. Perhaps i will use it for touching up blade flats afer heat treating.

I've had it for 6 years lol...since I got ill i have had to move more work to the cnc...so it may sit another 6 years...lol.

I think a vfd might make it more useful? the speed is pretty crazy.

They work great for octagon shaped Wa handles. They will square things up a bit more even than a belt sander and you can tilt the table and have a larger surface are than a 2x72 belt sander to cut the facets into the handle. I had 1 12" set up at 90 degrees and 1 set up at around 40 degrees to cut the facets on the octagon handle.

I use mine for final grinding and polishing of smaller blades, 5" or less, as i can grind entire blade all at once. also works well for shaping handles. i have variable speed 8" and i am finishing a low speed(350rpm) fixed speed.
8" seems to be the standard for metallurgy and lapidary. I have discs from 36 grit to P2500 grit. You have to use low speed, less than 500 rpm to get any life from discs finer than 150 grit.

When I want small flat areas cleaned up I use a disk. A belt grinder platen rounds the edges of parts where the belt puckers. I have ground a few blades on the disc but it is tedious. I now flat grind blades on a belt platen and then clean things up with the disc. I deburr folder parts on the disc and “polish” tang areas on a folder blades. Every blade I grind I use the disc to grind the flat part to my planned finish. A disc will give you a much crisper grind line. I get bolsters flat without edge gaps on a disk. I wouldn’t be with out one.

I have a self made double grinder. One side has steel disc with 60 grit sandpaper on it. I use it to flatten and debark guard material. I hit all handle material on it to make sure it is flat. Second side has 1/8 inch rubber on it. I use it to further grind down guard material to 1000 grit and have flat ground on it. My tapered tangs are ground on belt grinder then I got to disc to further true and flatten tapers down. 60 grit side I use to profile blades also. The rubber side I spray with adhesive and use standard sandpaper sheets. Excess are cut and use for hand sanding.

This ties in. Blatant product placement.

EDITED TO ADD: The intro price stops at 20 sold, which will likely happen today and the regular price will be $195 going forward.

Last edited:
Just ordered one! Can’t beat the price and I always wished someone would make one that tilted horizontal and vertical.

EDITED TO ADD: The intro price stops at 20 sold, which will likely happen today and the regular price will be $195 going forward.
Yep, that was a good idea...I have 2 in my shop, 1 vertical and 1 horizontal...that would have been nice a while back!!haha

I make folders so I use mine quite a bit! I have a 90degree table on my horizontal and use it for cleaning up my spring and spring notch, and half-stop, making sure they're 90 degrees. I also true up bolsters and grind handle material to fit w bolsters, and chamfering my pins

The horizontal is what I flatten all my handle material and liners on...

I couldn't do without a disc grinder in my shop

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Man, I want one but the shipping kills it for me right now. Will save up because that is a great design. I believe my spare motor will fit it. I can weld, will you be offering one like "you weld grinder?" That would help on shipping, I bet.

Damn, just and edit, my motor will not work.

Last edited:
Back