Digital Height Gauge

Mike,
I think a height gauge is one of the most important tools in my shop and I have a very inexpensive one. Once you have it set for a blade to scribe the center line you can always re-scribe as you grind if you need too. It also helps making bolsters and guards the same thickness from the blade as you shape them. But the one you're looking at doesn't say that the tip is carbide. So it probably isn't. I wouldn't buy one without a carbide tip. It will wear out too soon as a scribe. Enco often has one on sale for $50.00 that is simple and works fine.
Jay

Mike,
I forgot to add that I wouldn't worry about the digital part of the gauge. Mine has a dial indicator that I don't use. If I'm marking a quarter inch blade profile I just set the gauge at 1/8 inch as measured by setting the point on some 1/8" pinstock as a guide or measuring with a ruler. Then I mark the blade flip it over and mark it again. At worst you have parallel lines showing the center.
Jay

...just thought I would add my two cents..I always scribe two parallel lines to give me a target edge thickness. I thought most makers did the same.

I got my height gauge from Enco, it is a dial one with a carbide scribe. about eighty bucks. I also scribe two parallel lines to maintain edge thickness before heat treat. I bought there small granite surface plate to use with the height gauge and it works great for checking how flat your blades are. For me it was a good investment and have had many years of use!
Clint

Granite plate and height gage, wait 'till enco has free shipping to get the granite. I sand for flat on the granite also. I'd be lost without them.

Thanks guys, thats what I was needing to hear. Seems like it would be a useful tool!
I have a piece of granite, bit it isnt a certified block. I checked it with a steel flat rule and could see no high or low spots in it. May look at the enco blockas well.

Thanks Again!

God Bless
Mike

Not to get concerned Eric. Are we slower than them? I'm not sure but the two lines have always been what I use. Now, to say they always got the results I wanted, wouldn't be correct. Frank

Wait and get the carbide edge one, Buy once.
I use mine to scribe all kinds of stuff. I just scribed the bottom of a kydex holster yesterday that needed 3/4 cut off of it for a shorter barreled gun.
I mostly use it to scribe two lines on the edge before grinding though.
The reason I say get the carbide one is I use calipers to scribe lots of stuff and I can see where they dull out pretty easily.

CW

Enco has free shipping until 1/31 for orders over $49. And they have a decent height guage in sale for about half price, but its dial not digital. They also have a good size grade B granite surface plate on sale for about half price. I order both earlier this week and can't wait for them to get here.

Back